Author Topic: My 5th Dunlop  (Read 2644 times)

JeffHamm

My 5th Dunlop
« on: June 21, 2015, 07:28:01 AM »
It's been a long time since I made one of these (Sept of 2013 it seems).  This is a Scottish cheddar type cheese first introduced by Barbra Gilmore in the late 1700s.  This is a really good cheese for aging, although I've liked it quite young too (2 to 3 months).  Dipping the cheese in hot water the next day for a minute, and then further pressing, does seem to be worth doing as well.  Although I've found the knit to be quite good after the first night of pressing, I think it helps to seal things a bit more for extended aging to help guard against the intrusion of wild moulds into the interior.  Anyway, this make is only part way finished, so no photos of the cheese just yet.  And, as I used up the last of my 750 IMCU strength rennet, I also ran a touch short.  With rennet this strong, a touch short can mean a long set, which appears to have been the case.  Anyway, that being said, all seems to have gone well and I'm pleased with how it's going.  Normally I would flip the cheese again and up the weight one more time, but the weights are sitting level and all is going well so I'm just going to leave it as is.  No need to tempt fate and much of the flipping at this stage is to deal with tilting of the weights.

Actually, at 8:30 I decided to flip it but didn't increase the weight any further.  This morning, doing the hot water dip, all seems well.  Excellent knit.  Forgot to get a photo though.  Cheese is a very big one, at just over 1.7 kg, but much of that will be moisture and it will shed about 500g over the months I suspect.  But, you may be shocked to hear this, I have been wrong before.

Dunlop : Sunday June 20, 2015.  Sunny, 17 degrees

8 litres silver top (4.0g/100 fat, 3.1g/100ml protein; creamline – normally 7 & 4, for 0.84:1))
3 litres budget blue top (3.3g/100ml fat, 3.2g/100ml protein; p/h) 0.81:1 p:f ratio total
4 ice cubes ripened buttermilk
0.66 ml microbial rennet IMCU 750 – last of this, and was a bit short closer to 0.6 maybe
½  tsp Calcium chloride 50% (add while milk in jugs)
2-2.5 tbls salt

1) add ½ tsp calcium chloride in egg cup of water to milk in jugs
2) Add the starter when started warming milk
3) Warm milk to 300C. (reached at 8:04 am; 30.1 C)
4) Wrap pot in towels and ripen 1 hour (target time 9:04 – but it was 9:29 – the dangers of gardening – temp was still 29.3 C though!)
5) add rennet in egg cup of water (time: 9:29:00 : temp: 30.1 C – raised back)
   Floc time = 9:58:00 29m 00sec. – bit low volume and the rennet is very old)
6) floc 3.5x = 101 m 30 sec = cut time: 11:10:30
7) Cut into broad bean size cubes (1 cm?) & stir (11:10:45 heal 10 minutes; 11:22-11:32 28.0 C)
8) raise temperate to 36 C over 20 minutes (start time: 11:32   end time:11:55:30; temp : 36.3 C  good cooking curve until near the end, finished a bit late)
9) cook 20 minutes  (start time: 11:56   end time: 12:16; end temp 35.9 – kept moving it in and out of pot of warm water to maintain temp)
10) settle curds (5-10 minutes 12:16-12:26) and drain whey
11) put curds in cheesecloth in collandar, pressed with 2 l whey 15 minutes (12:34 - 12:49)
11) cut into several (6) broad slabs
12) stack, & change slabs several times over 30 minutes  (start time: 12:50   end time: 1:20 ; in pot placed in sink of warm water; around 40 C; flipped every 10 minutes @1:03 & 1:10)
13) Mill into small pieces (thumbnail size; 1:20)
14) sprinkle with salt (amount not stated in recipe; I used 2 tbls this time; 2.5 last time)
15) wrap, place in mould in pot, press lightly (10 kg 0.72 PSI) for 15 minutes  (start time: 1:37    end time: 2:05 – very moist curd.  Seems to have retained a lot of whey –my stirring was fairly gentle and may not have expelled as much whey as I recall?  Will see at final weight )
16) flip, redress, & press heavier (20kg; 1.43 PSI) for 1 hours  (start time: 2:05 - 3:05)
17) flip, redress, & press heavier (30kg; 2.15 PSI) for 2 hours  (start time: 3:05 - ??:??)
  Decided to just leave it like this as the pressing is going well, and no tilting so left at 30 kg until 8:35 pm
18) flip & redress, press overnight (30.0; 2.15 PSI)  (start time:  8:35 pm   end time: 6:10
am; 1726g and 15.7 cm x 7.5 cm, 1.19 g / cm3  superb knit all round)
19) remove from cheesecloth, and dip in 660C water for 1 minutes  (6:16 am – 6:17 am)
20) redress and press for 24 hours  (30kg; 2.15 PSI start time: 6:20 am  flipped/redressed at 5:30 pm 1714g  15.6 x 7.6 cm = 1.18g/cm3 end time: 6:05 am; 1696g  15.7 x 7.6 cm = 1.17g/cm3) excellent knit and result.
21) air dry until dry to touch (moved to box on , ?? ??:??; am; ????g ??.? x ?.? cm = ?.??g/cm3 )
22) Ripen 10-150C, 85% humidity.  Ready in 6-8 weeks but really comes into its own after 6-8 months and can age longer; bandaged or waxed or natural rind.

Made ricotta from the whey; heated to 92.3 0C, added ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, let sit for ?? minutes  Got 537g, add 1-2% salt by weight (add 6g).

NOTE: I did eventually get the cooking temperature to the final point.  Just took a few extra minutes.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:23:23 PM by JeffHamm »

JeffHamm

Re: My 5th Dunlop
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 07:36:14 AM »
Ok, here we are coming into the home stretch of the pressing.  Flipped this evening and will be complete in the morning.  At the moment, it weighs in at a hefty 1714g, and measures 15.6 x 7.6 cm for a density of 1.18 g/cm3.  A bit bigger and denser than other makes, but again, that will be mostly fluid retention.  As it dries out it will shrink, but internal holes will form lowering the density.  Still, the knit is fantastic, and I'm quite pleased with how this is turning out.  My last make at this stage was 1528g and measured 15.5 x 6.8 cm = 1.18g/cm3, so we're at the same density, though the current cheese is almost 200g heavier (I've got slightly higher fat content this time around, but not enough to make that sort of a difference; mind you, I pressed the previous one with 5kg more weight by placing a stone mortar and pestle on top).

Anyway, we're getting there. 

shaneb

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 09:49:16 AM »
Looks great Jeff. Have a cheese from me. I've seen in the past you've taken these out to years in the cave. Are you planning on doing that again? How would you compare a 6-8 month old one to one of your vintage ones?

Thanks.

Shane

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 08:28:52 PM »
Thanks Shane! 

The 6-8 month ones are really about when this starts to develop it's own distinct characteristics.  Should be moist, a bit nutty, flavour.  As it ages, these characteristics mature, and it has a wonderful texture, very well rounded nutty flavours.  As a young cheese, in the 6-8 weeks range, it's fairly typical so, while not bad, it's also a bit of work to get something you can get more easily.  Lancashire is a great cheese for that early age, and caerphilly is my personal favorite for to the table quickly (I really like caerphilly at 3 weeks).  Not sure if I'll age this for a long time or not.  Will see how it goes.  Might keep it for Christmas holidays, which isn't really that far off in cheese time.

- Jeff

shaneb

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 10:09:23 PM »
Thanks Jeff. That is good to know. Another cheese for my ever growing list. Yes, Christmas is approaching rapidly.

Shane

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 07:38:27 AM »
Here it is after the final press, at 1696g, 15.7 x 7.6 for 1.17g/cm3.  Had to "auto correct" the colour on this as it was a bit dark, so if it looks a bit strange that could be why.  Anyway, this has been a very pleasing make so far and, apart from the very long floc time and a bit of an undershoot on the cooking curve, all has gone more or less to plan.  This is a bit of a time consuming cheese to make, but it has been a consistently good result so far (ok, it has worked well 4 times out of 4, not a huge sample there, but still).  If you've got caerphilly down and are happy with that, I would suggest making one of these to age out for 8 months or a year, and quickly follow this make with a lancashire.  The caerphilly will get you through the make process, the Lancashire is a nice one at 2 months, and between those two, you can satisfy much of your cheddar cravings until this one is ready.  Toss the odd Wensleydale in there, and maybe a Derby (though that latter one is another one to age as well, as is a good Cheshire), and you're all set cheddar wise (well, maybe a traditional cheddar, just because - and Double Gloc, one I keep meaning to try but hear such rave reviews over is surely one to slip in when no one is looking ... hmmmm, maybe, like pokemon, you gotta make them all).

shaneb

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 08:05:02 AM »
Looks great. You are making my list very long now. So many cheeses I've never tasted before, but would love to try making.  :)

Shane

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 08:25:56 AM »
Well done Jeff.
Another great looking cheese and one from me for your efort and the great notes.
I can recommend the Double Gloucester (easier to make than to spell) when you get the spare time.
- Andrew

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 09:22:02 PM »
Looks good, Jeff, as always. :)

Wow, big floc'ing floc! What happened there?

A cheese for your consistent quality efforts.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 11:03:27 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Boofer, the long floc was probably due to the rennet being very old and I was a little bit short on the amount as it was the last drops from the bottle.  Should have had around 0.66 ml but was probably closer to 0.6.  That's only 10% below, but it can make a difference (apparently).  It was setting earlier, but not fully firm (i.e. if I lift the bowl it wouldn't leave a visible ring, which is what I look for to ensure "full floc is reached").

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 04:45:28 AM »
Into the cave today weighing 1520g and measuring 15.5 x 6.9 cm for 1.17g/cm3.  So far, looking pretty good.  Probably could keep it out for a few more days to firm up the rind, but I'm worried it will start to crack.  Will form up in the cave.  Now, the waiting begins.

JeffHamm

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 01:55:25 PM »
I'm hoping I've not posted this 3 times now.  I think the images were too big before?  Anyway, cut into this early December 2015 (on the 2nd), after taking it to Canada to visit my family.  It had a nice, slightly nutty flavour, with a bit of aged cheddar starting as well.  Had great texture, nice creamy mouth-feel, and it melted really well in grilled cheese (which, according to my 8 yo daughter and 4 yo son were the best cheese sandwhiches ever!  so, I was pleased with that critique! ha!)  Was a bit hit with those I shared it with.  I'm really pleased with this protocol for cheddars that are to be aged out 8-16 months.  It was just kept at cave temp, brushed if it got too fuzzy, and the rind was left to develop on its own.  The final cheese was not dried out, so I was very pleased.  Will make this one again, and I bet this would be even better if made larger (a 2 or 3 kg version would be great).

- Jeff

Stinky

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 03:00:20 PM »
Very pretty! +C