Author Topic: Hi from south-west Germany  (Read 3481 times)

Revilo

Hi from south-west Germany
« on: June 24, 2015, 02:55:37 PM »
Hi everyone,

I’ve been checking this site for a while now for various problems that I’ve had. Thought it was about time I joined :D

My diet as a kid was pretty much 50% cheese, but only this winter did I start to make some when I was given a recipe for paneer. I found it relatively easy, so I thought I would try mozzarella. It was then that I realised that it isn’t all so simple. After chucking away quite a lot of ‘broken curds’ from supermarket milk, I was about to give up (nicely put) when someone told me about a raw milk tap at a farmer in the next village. From then on, I have mainly been making Camemberts and am waiting on couple of Stiltons. Wish I had more aging space and time now …

Looking forward to be able to ask questions and hopefully answer a few too  :D

hoeklijn

Re: Hi from south-west Germany
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 05:42:02 AM »
And a "welcome to the forum" from Holland, neighbourhood of Gouda to be more accurate....

shaneb

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 07:26:22 AM »
Welcome.  :)

Shane

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 04:00:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum, sooner or later somebody's gonna ask this question,
 Where's the pics? ;)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

qdog1955

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 07:12:41 PM »
Welcome to the Forum. My step daughter just returned from Switzerland-Germany and was highly impressed with the cheese making-----seems you live close to some of the best in the world----we should be asking you the questions ;)
Qdog

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 11:32:14 PM »
Welcome also from the Land DownUnder :).  This place is full of amazing people with wonderful cheeses and a fantastic willingness to share.  Have fun and hope to see some of your Cheese efforts.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Revilo

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 01:25:19 PM »
Hi,

thanks for all the welcomes  :D Been pretty busy the last week, sorry it took a while to reply.
I live pretty close to France as well, which means you can get a lot of different cheeses (Camemberts particularly) from the supermarkets there that you can't in Germany. They're pretty good  ;D
At the weekend, I cut open a Bleu d'Auvergne which I had been ripening for about 2.5 months. I thought it was a lost cause, because after 3 weeks or so of ripening, a brown/red/furry mould covered it. I scraped it off though and was amazed that the cheese turned out pretty nice (rather intense  ^-^). Here's some proof ;)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 03:42:37 PM »
That looks like a nice blue cheese, quit scraping the rind  :( it give the cheese it's character
Still let me give you you're first cheese,
AC4U
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 03:27:04 AM »
let me give you you're first cheese,

... and a second cheese from me. A great looking blue.
Welcome to the forum.
- Andrew

Revilo

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 09:33:03 AM »
Thanks for the Cheeses :D
I cut the mould off because it was smelling like mushrooms, but I guess every cheese is unique
Looking forward to cutting open a Stilton at the weekend  ^-^

John@PC

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 08:37:15 PM »
Nice work.  Added a cheese so you're batting 3 for 3 ;).  And welcome to the forum!

Revilo

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 07:22:29 AM »
Thanks John  :D
Been loving all the pictures of cheeses developing, so will try and add some of my attempts later

hoeklijn

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 05:48:41 AM »
And a cheese from me as well. Are you ripening in a separate container? From the picture it seems that the cheese had a fairly thick rind for a cheese that aged 2.5 month. In his own container the RH will probably be higher...

Stinky

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 05:13:46 PM »
Do you Bergkase?

Revilo

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 11:03:52 AM »
Thanks for the cheese Hoeklijn :D
I had the cheese in the plastic container inside the converted wine fridge (about 85-90%RH) until the rind looked 'tough' enough and then I just put it the wine fridge without the container (which has about 70%RH). Maybe that humidity is too low and dried too much into the cheese. I recently cut up a Stilton that was aged in a similar way and it also has quite a thick rind. It was still really tasty though (similar to 'real' Stilton with something else)

Would love to make a Bergkäse Stinky. Need to construct some kind of cheese press  first though ::) It's also really hot here in Germany at the moment, making aging tricky. Is there a relatively simple recipe to start with?