Author Topic: Aging cheese in pots  (Read 1164 times)

StuartDunstan

Aging cheese in pots
« on: June 26, 2015, 12:25:54 AM »
Has anyone tried aging cheese in a pot? And by that, I guess I mean more of a small glass jar. Was thinking it would be interesting to make a blue cheese where you could watch through the glass as the mould starts to bloom in the cracks between the curd. So you would make the cheese as normal, but then pile the curd into the jar at the end. The mould would ripen the inside and the exposed area on top. It would be best as a fairly soft blue too.

I can see there might be a problem of proper drainage at the start, but if you just left it upside down, I think that would do the trick. Are there any other problems one might encounter?

Dibbs

Re: Aging cheese in pots
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 03:39:15 PM »
The blue mould needs air to develop so I don't think you'd see it.

Aging in an unglazed terracotta pot might be interesting though.

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 01:16:52 AM »
Agree-the mold needs oxygen to grow well.

Susan

StuartDunstan

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:57:10 AM »
But if you're piercing from the top, surely that would be enough?

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 12:54:52 AM »
From what I've seen, you pierce from the top and the sides. I would be concerned that the mold might grow well in some parts of the cheese, but not so well in others where there is less air reaching into the cheese. However, you can always try it and see what happens  8).

Susan

hoeklijn

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 05:45:20 AM »
The cheese is losing moist while aging. That's why you need to dry the container where you're aging the blue cheese in every day. In a glass jar this moist has almost nowhere to go...