Author Topic: Best pH meter?  (Read 7534 times)

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Best pH meter?
« on: June 26, 2015, 07:10:35 PM »
Hello,
I'm finally ready to purchase a pH meter and after very little research (so far) it seems that the Hanna HI99161 http://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instruments-HI-99161-Waterproof/dp/B002NX0VVA is the right choice for me as it will allow testing of both liquids and solids and has a food-safe, cleanable tip that can be used on a wheel of cheese that will then be sold.
Does anyone have experience with the higher-end Hanna pH meters?  I've heard they have terrible customer service so I'm a little concerned about making the leap.
Any input?
Thank you!
Kelsey

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Best pH meter?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 10:50:32 PM »
I use the ExTech pH100, the refillable one is the ph101 but is more expensive, from http://www.perfect-cheese.com/ .  He's on a break at the moment but I'm sure he'll be happy to answer your questions.  Not knowing what the application you are going to be putting it to but, I love this one as it is 2 decimal point -+.01 accuracy and 3 point calibration with a fully enclosed tip. 

--Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

jimk

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 12:13:49 AM »
I recently purchased the HI99161 and so far am very happy with it. You will need to purchase storage solution separately, it does not come with any for some reason.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 03:33:08 PM »
The Hanna is a wonderful pH meter. We use ours every day.

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 11:47:37 PM »
How does it handle taking pH on cheeses that are being pressed?.  Would it not make a whole in the cheese?

It does look like a very good pH meter.

Thanks

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 02:10:31 AM »
How does it handle taking pH on cheeses that are being pressed?.  Would it not make a whole in the cheese?

It does look like a very good pH meter.

Thanks

I have a ExTech pH100.  It has a FLAT head.  Works perfectly pressed up against the cheese.  No holes.  I love mine. 
- Andrew

shaneb

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 08:13:17 AM »
Thanks Andrew for pointing out the flat probe on the Extech unit. I was going to buy a new electrode for my HM Digitals one, but the electrode sticks out. I can see your one being so much better for cheese. I'll put that money towards getting an Extech unit instead.

Shane

qdog1955

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 09:19:44 AM »
I use the extech-100 and have no complaints----and they have great product support on all there gizmos-----shop around----got a great deal on Amazon.
 Qdog

shaneb

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 09:48:09 AM »
Is there any advantage in going for the PH110 over the PH100? I see the price is not vastly different. If it can prevent early failure of the electrode then maybe it is worth it?

Shane

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 03:18:11 PM »
The ph110 has refillable probes so you don't have to replace them.  Worth the cost difference in my opinion.

Thanks

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 04:47:05 PM »
Thank you for all the input!
Which model's probe is easiest to clean and sanitize?  I've never used a pH meter that could be used on a wheel of cheese, only the cheaper versions that were dipped into cups of milk or whey (and the sample is then tossed).

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 06:15:31 PM »
Thank you for all the input!
Which model's probe is easiest to clean and sanitize?  I've never used a pH meter that could be used on a wheel of cheese, only the cheaper versions that were dipped into cups of milk or whey (and the sample is then tossed).

The Extech  100 is super easy.  I just rinse it right in the sink, then store it in it's green cap with some ph4 in there. 
- Andrew

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 05:10:04 AM »
I just received my new hanna hi99161 meter today , I calibrated it and tested it out and it settles  to temp and ph reading way faster than the extech 110 ,  with in 10 seconds or less  the extech takes more than 60 seconds sometimes .

Also I looked under a microscope at the tip and there is no hole  for the porous ceramic electrode  to complete the circuit , odd .

I will use it this weekend to make Reblochon , and if it works well and does not misbehave  I will have an extech 110 for sale soon .

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 01:04:41 AM »
Well I have used my meter for 3 makes now and I have to say it is wonderful . The temp does not adjust as quick as I thought if it is sitting at room temp then needs to go to 90 degrees or so but the meter reads out the ph in a few seconds and rarely changes if left longer . Unlike the my Extech  110 , it would wander about if left in to watch for ph drop at the first introduction  of culture .

Put it in the calibration fluid and bang 7.01 on the dot , not so with my Extech

If you compare the price  to milk and figure how much cheese can be made with that money it seems high priced but
I feel that the meter is well worth the money if you count the cost of the labor used to make cheese. 

I also I feel that I now have no dought about the ph of the cheese

qdog1955

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 10:08:48 AM »
The key being-----" how much money you make"  it's hard to justify $360.00 for home use, when a $100.00 will suffice.
Qdog