Author Topic: H-K-J's Baby Huey Oregon Double cream Brie  (Read 3637 times)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
H-K-J's Baby Huey Oregon Double cream Brie
« on: June 26, 2015, 08:50:39 PM »
Baby Huey Oregon Double cream Brie
(Make date; 06/11/15)

You are probably thinking to yourself, --Self--, why, Baby Huey Oregon?
Well I’ll tell yuh.
Our first set of brie was really small (but very tasty)  ^-^ the milk that we used made curd that shattered so bad we thought it was ruined, as I said it was wonderful,
This time we used different H/P milk and cream, added one more gallon of milk and more cream, all bought in Oregon and we added Sam 3 P/C,
I used Al Lewis’ recipe from his blog.
I must thank Al Lewis for the Sam 3, he bought and had it shipped to our new home as a housewarming present,
Thanks again AL, I owe you a cheese.
We had much firmer curd and a lot more of it stayed in the molds this time, they are half again the size of the last batch.
Sooo ,Oregon milk, cream and friend, plus half again the size = Baby Huey Oregon Double cream Brie.

(Now you gottuh be thinkin who the hell is this guy really?) ???

OK, OK let’s get on with it!! :P
The make went very well, we hit all of Al’s temps and times, the ladling and flipping was scary as usual, and thankfully, nothing hit the floor but a little whey. :o
We flipped them in the molds (OK sewer pipe) for 2 days, 3 times a day, and then twice a day for the next 6 days until we got a nice clean white coat.
Then wrapped them up in cheese ripening paper and off to the cheese cave/drink cooler .
I inherited a refrigerator I will be making into my new cave, that’s a story I will share later on another thread.

I know people get real tired of picture documentaries, Well that’s too bad here’s another one.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:13:19 PM by H-K-J »
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

WisconsinDan

Re: H-K-J's Baby Huey Oregon Double cream Brie
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »
I personally like the pictures. ACFU.  ;D

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 09:21:40 PM »
Thanks for the cheese Dan ^-^
sometimes it seems when I upload pics it will only do it one at a time :(

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 03:23:30 AM »
I know people get real tired of picture documentaries, Well that’s too bad here’s another one.
I may be guilty of that as well, but I think more is better than less. Some folks who may be newer to cheesemaking and may not have seen any earlier photo essays may find benefit with these efforts.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

shaneb

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 05:51:44 AM »
They look awesome. Please keep the photos coming.  :) Where did you get that round mat that you drain your cheese on? I love the pattern it makes on the top/bottom of the cheese.

Shane

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 01:48:06 PM »
The mat came from Wal-Mart I think you get 3 for a buck and a half

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 04:38:10 PM »
Great job!!  Nice to see you guys settled enough in that new home to get you back making cheese again.  AC4U my friend!!  ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 04:51:17 PM »
Thanks for the sam3 Al and cheese for you for that nice housewarming present 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:03:47 PM by H-K-J »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 06:06:14 PM »
Great job on the BHODCB! AC4U.

And I'm with those who say the more pictures, the better. But I do have a suggestion, which probably also addresses the issue of only being able to load one at a time -- if you will reduce the size of the pictures before posting, they will upload much faster, and also show up much faster when people view the post. Your pictures are 3+ megabytes each ... if you reduce them to, say 1024 x 768, with a medium-quality (60 - 80%) setting, they will shrink to an average of 50K or so, and be just the right resolution for display on screen.

More explanation -- and my apologies if I am telling you things you already know! But in case you don't, and for the sake of others who may be reading this -- digital pictures these days, even from a very basic device, tend to have multi-megapixel resolution, which translates into file sizes of multiple megabytes. However, this resolution is wasted for viewing on screen, which typically can only display one megapixel or so (depending on your screen resolution, of course), so bulletin board software typically scales uploaded pictures to a much smaller size -- around 1024 x 768, in fact -- for viewing. As best as I can tell, the BB software that this forum uses is somewhat unusual in that it does the scaling only at the time of viewing, rather than at the time of uploading -- which means that it goes ahead and accepts the full-resolution picture and stores it in the full multi-megabyte file size, but then has to reduce it for viewing on the screen on-the-fly when you pull up the thread. That takes extra time, not only when uploading the file, but also every time someone views the thread and gets the picture on his/her screen.

Thus, you can save time for everyone by scaling the pictures first before uploading. For you iPad users, you can also fix the rotation problem at the same time. I wish I could offer a generic solution to achieve this, but I use Linux as my primary operating system, so the solution I use to scale (and rotate) my pictures (imagemagick plus a bash script) will probably not work for the majority of people reading this. :( However, I would be very surprised if there weren't free programs available for both Mac and PC that can do the same thing. Maybe someone can suggest some options ... ?

Again, please forgive me if I am rambling on about things you already know!!
-- Andy

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 08:53:20 PM »
you are absolutely correct on all accounts, when I start a cheese make I always forget to change to a smaller resolution, in this case I had it set in the midrange last time it was set in the highest setting that makes them from 5 to 9 megabytes, if I want to use them I have to process them in light room.
I should always do that but I'm just lazy ::)
Thanks for the cheese ;D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 09:19:07 PM »
However, this resolution is wasted for viewing on screen
I have posted several times in the past about what you have just mentioned. You've done a better and more thorough job at it than I did. I try to limit the size of my pics to 1024x768 (or thereabouts) if it's just a vanilla pic of a wheel or similar. If I think a pic deserves more up close and personal inspection, such as the fine detail of a particularly quality cheese, then I'll opt for higher resolution.

I'm not sure all folks realize that you can click on a pic to enlarge it, maximize that sub-window, and then ZOOM in still further. That's only possible if the pic was uploaded with the higher resolution.  8)

When I snap pics, it is at the highest camera resolution. When I go to post, I'll downsize and adjust the pics for brightness. Needless to say, a lot of pics get taken, but few are chosen.

Apologies for hijacking the thread. :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

shaneb

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 08:26:31 AM »
The mat came from Wal-Mart I think you get 3 for a buck and a half

Thanks for that. There's no Walmart down here that I'm aware of. Do you have any idea if they were food specific? I've looked everywhere I can think of. I have found these needlecraft plastic canvases which look very similar. They seem to be made out of polyethylene.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121680157563&alt=web

I'll keep searching. Otherwise I'll just get some of the cheese matting. It seems very expensive, but obviously it is safe.

Thanks.

Shane

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 01:38:44 PM »
Hi Shane
those are the ones except I believe I got a number 5 or 6 (size of holes)
The wife reminded me that they came in a package of two.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 07:17:06 PM »
I have bought the needlework mats -- dirt cheap, and easy to throw in the dishwasher for cleaning and sterilization. The made-for-the-purpose cheese mats I've bought on line have a bit of pattern to them that probably helps allow some air to the undersides, but I haven't seen a huge difference. And in any case, I've also bought some "egg crate diffuser" from a home improvement store -- intended for use with fluorescent light fixtures -- to provide a more open grid underneath the needlework mat.
-- Andy

shaneb

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 08:34:28 PM »
Thanks guys. That's excellent. I'll look through the ones available and place an order.

Shane