Author Topic: Storing all your cheese in one cave  (Read 1100 times)

brewbush

Storing all your cheese in one cave
« on: June 28, 2015, 03:21:20 PM »
I will be re purposing an unused beer fridge (I have 3 others don't worry!!) to use for a mini cave.

In just this one cave can I mix cream wax coated cheeses, bandaged cheeses, and mini plastic tubs of blues/Bries  without any cross contamination?

Thanks

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Storing all your cheese in one cave
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »
Here is my experience with a mixture of cheeses in a single "cave." I have had camemberts, blues, waxed, vac-bagged, and natural rind (natural, but not intended to be mold-covered) in various combinations including all of the above, all at the same time. The cams and blues have always been in ripening boxes.

By the time I started making blues and cams, I had already long been used to dealing with wild blues, as well as other odds and ends of mold varieties, on my natural rinds. That may have increased, a bit, with the addition of the blue cheeses -- ??? -- but really not sure; certainly not a major difference, if any. In general, if I want the naturals to stay mold-free, I have always had to brush / wipe with white wine / etc. no matter what, and/or encourage some B. Linens to take up residence. The waxed and bagged cheeses, of course, have been indifferent either way.

So, for me, it has not seemed like it made a lot of difference to include them all in a single cave.
-- Andy