Author Topic: Automatic stirrer  (Read 3659 times)

IllinoisCheeseHead

Automatic stirrer
« on: June 28, 2015, 04:39:20 PM »
Hi

I built an auto and tried it for the very first time this weekend.  It worked really well during milk warm.  However when it came to stirring the curds, I noticed that no matter what speed I use, the curds just turn with the paddles and don't seem to stay free.  I am thinking that my only remedy is to add a module that either stops and restarts every second or so or that it changes direction so I was hoping that I could get some pointers.

Here is a few pictures of the motor and paddle.  The paddle is coated in food grade epoxy so there is absolutely no contact with the milk.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

qdog1955

Re: Automatic stirrer
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:45:39 PM »
 I have whole piles of paddles that didn't work very well----an off on timer relay will help some-----but I suggest you slow stir the curds until they have shrunk some and firmed up a little---that will help some.
  What you really need is a paddle that is rotating while mounted to a bar that is rotating in the opposite direction. I have considered doing this but decided it was to involved for a 12 to 14 in vat.  and the amount of cheese I make-----if I did large amounts often, I wouldn't hesitate. Do a Google on cheese stiring equipment and you will see how some of these are set up, but they are usually 1 or 2 vats, that are 2 to 3 foot in diameter----and those are the small ones.
Qdog

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 07:59:18 PM »
Hi Qdog,

I am rewiring the motor with a timer which will reverse the polarity at intervals I choose.   I already have a speed controller which allows me to change the speed from 2 RPMs all the way to 50 RPMs.  At 50 RPMs it is turning really fast (perhaps too fast for any cheeses) but it is nice having the ability to spin that fast.  The torque even at 2 rpm is very high apprx 20 kilos at 1 cm.  Basically impossible to stop.

I did notice yesterday that if I manually reverse the polarity, the curds were doing really well.  So I think once I get the reverable timer I am ready for prime time.

Thanks for the advise.  I am hoping it will work well.  I feel like after all this MacGyver will have nothing on me.  So far I have built a press, temperature controller capable of handling 1 degree swings and able to rapid heat the milk from 37 degrees to 86 degrees in 22 minutes (with the stirrer on) and now I need to master this baby.  Then watch out, cheese galore....lol

qdog1955

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:48:21 AM »
As I remember --MacGyver never had a failure :)
Qdog

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 01:46:50 PM »
Oh yes he did.  But he always resolved them 2 minutes before the end of the show, avoided a cataclysmic and then got a new girlfriend.  All you had to do is skip to the end and everything was always fine with everyone celebrating..... lol.... ::)

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 07:45:47 AM »
Could you connect the motor to the paddle via a crank and so convert the rotary motion into reciprocating motion? What I'm thinking of is a small wheel or crank on the motor connected to a larger wheel or crank on the paddle shaft by a connecting rod.
(I'm not sure if that's clear. I know what I mean but ...)
- Andrew

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 01:48:41 PM »
I have whole piles of paddles that didn't work very well----an off on timer relay will help some-----but I suggest you slow stir the curds until they have shrunk some and firmed up a little---that will help some.
  What you really need is a paddle that is rotating while mounted to a bar that is rotating in the opposite direction. I have considered doing this but decided it was to involved for a 12 to 14 in vat.  and the amount of cheese I make-----if I did large amounts often, I wouldn't hesitate. Do a Google on cheese stiring equipment and you will see how some of these are set up, but they are usually 1 or 2 vats, that are 2 to 3 foot in diameter----and those are the small ones.
Qdog

Qdog, are you referring to a "planetary" type action, the sort of thing that you see on the business end of a KitchenAid mixer?
-- Andy

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 03:12:39 PM »
I think something like that could be made but perhaps more complicated than I want it to be.

My next approach is to change rotations every 10 seconds while resting for 2 seconds.  Will be making cheese this weekend and trying it out.  Who knows, maybe the next Frankenstcheese will be born........ >:D

qdog1955

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 02:59:13 PM »
Getting my fancy delay timers today.  Should be able to have the entire unit wired for tomorrow's trial by fire run.  Will take some photos.

Thanks

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 10:33:41 PM »
Hi

So I finally finished building my stirrer and it works great.  I made cheese today and had it set to about 30 rpms changing direction every 15 seconds.  It worked really well with no issues.

Here is a pic, a video and my wiring diagram.  I am able to control the speed as well as the time between changing rotation.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

shaneb

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 10:41:25 PM »
Wow, that has turned out great. I attempted an extremely simple stirrer a while back, but it created more problems than it solved. Having now moved to rectangular pans with lid on, I'm not sure how I'd attempt it now. A cheese from me for your inventiveness.

Shane

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 11:24:50 PM »
Thanks Shane,

I may go to a rectangular vat as well sometime in the future.  Perhaps once I move to Wisconsin next month.

If I had a rectangular vat, I would add one more motor and stirrer.  The motors are about 30 bucks and the stirs then would be made of stainless steel so no need to even cover them with resin.  With a second motor and without any additional wiring really or additional relays, I would turn one in one direction and the other in the opposite direction.  The power supply I am using would handle both.

I am not ready to go rectangular yet but if I do I will modify and then send new photos.  It may not happen any time soon since I got a lot invested in the round shape.  I even have a stainless steel plate for pressing curds under whey and it would all go to waist.  So I am sticking to the round shape for now.

Thank you for the compliments and AC4U as well.

Thanks

shaneb

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 01:08:31 AM »
I had thought about using some kind of screw motor or linear actuator moving some paddles (a stainless frame with plastic paddles which can turn as they are forced through the vat) back and forwards. Do you mean to have the motors split doing two circles within the rectangular vat?

Shane

qdog1955

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 09:52:59 AM »
Great job-----AC4u----post some video in action?
Qdog