Author Topic: Delice de Pommard  (Read 4300 times)

Junction

Delice de Pommard
« on: June 30, 2015, 08:10:40 PM »
I have been asked to make Delice de Pommard by my parents who recently went to France for vacation. 

Has anyone here made this cheese, if so could you please share your recipe. 
Though new here, I have been making cheeses for almost 2 years.  I have my own milk cows, so would be using raw milk.

Cathy

Kern

Re: Delice de Pommard
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 12:00:11 AM »
I did a little Internet searching and based upon what I've discovered this looks like a triple cream ripened cheese rolled in mustard seeds, which were likely boiled with the liquid cooled and added to the milk.  If I were going to try to make it I'd use a cream added Camembert recipe.  I've pasted on a picture below and would say that the horizontal line in the photo are mustard seeds added to the hoop half way through draining.  It also looks like the top of the cheese has been shaped maybe by piling the curds in a conical pile in the hoop.  This argues against flipping the mold so the curds are allowed to drain in the mold until firm.  My guess is that the mustard seeds are added to the outside after the PC has fully formed and has been patted down.

texascockatoos

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 03:32:37 AM »
Hi Kern,

Thanks so much for your response.  I have read that the mustard seeds are rehydrated and then ground, so you think the liquid from rehydrating is added to the milk for flavor?

Kern

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 03:45:56 AM »
Cathy:

Usually one boils seeds and any other dried material one adds to cheese.  Only a little bit of water is used.  This sterilizes the seeds and the flavored water can be added to the cheese milk.  The boiled seeds could be ground into a paste that was also added to the milk.  Obviously, the seeds on the outside of the cheese ball were not ground.  If they were added just prior to cutting the cheese they likely would not need to be sterilized - otherwise they should be as they might carry unwanted yeasts, molds, etc onto the cheese.  Judging from the photo I'd say they were added about the time the cheese was packaged for shipment and consumption.  The color is dark enough to indicate that they might have been toasted as raw mustard seeds are light yellow in color.  This would also sterilize them.

By the way, welcome to the Forum.  It is a neat place to hang out.  A lot of people that post make some imaginative cheeses.  The cool thing is that you can do searches and learn some interesting ideas.  Why don't you try making this cheese.  Keep notes and post your recipe with pictures of the results both after making the cheese and aging it.  This is generally how one earns cheeses (thumbs up).

Kern

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 12:44:30 AM »

Junction

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 07:31:52 PM »
Hi Susan & Kern,

I ordered the brown mustard seeds off amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001M0YLM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00) which arrived today.  I have company coming in this weekend, otherwise, I would be taking my first stab at this cheese in the next few days.

I will update with photos and comments once I have made it.
Thank you Susan and Kern for taking the time to post.

Cathy

Kern

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 11:26:14 PM »
I shall look forward to seeing your cheese.   :)

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 01:04:17 AM »
I'm interested also. Looks like something I would like to try and make with goat's milk. Make sure and let us know the recipe too.  :D

Susan

FRANCOIS

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 01:35:08 AM »
That's a lactic cheese like Humboldt fog.

Stinky

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 10:07:13 PM »
That's a lactic cheese like Humboldt fog.

To expand on this, lactic cheesemaking is a slower process. You inoculate the milk with a small amount of culture, let it ripen for a relatively long amount of time, either add rennet or not, and then drain and suchwhat. You won't get the same result as from a standard Cam-type recipe. Probably would still taste great, but wouldn't be quite the same.