Author Topic: Anybody Buying this New Cheesemaking Book?  (Read 11858 times)

Sweet Leaves Farm

Re: Anybody Buying this New Cheesemaking Book?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 08:08:45 PM »
Yes, he runs the Black Sheep School of Cheesemaking, and he is also on this forum. His screen name is Guerrillacheese. http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=17471

Here's his website:http://www.theblacksheepschool.com/

I've had some good cheese adventures using his recipes and I can't wait to see the book!

amiriliano

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:34:37 PM »
Excellent. I figured he'd be on here. Doesn't look like he's very active though...

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 09:27:09 PM »
I just ordered the book :)

StuartDunstan

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 03:01:25 AM »
Ordered and can't wait for it to arrive. Sounds like it will be a very different take on cheesemaking, which will be nice.

amiriliano

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 03:13:22 AM »
Any info on how it's different?

StuartDunstan

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 03:18:08 AM »
I only have what I read from the publisher's website to go on, but this is the main thing that stood out:

"The Art of Natural Cheesemaking is the first cheesemaking book to take a political stance against Big Dairy and to criticize both standard industrial and artisanal cheesemaking practices. It promotes the use of ethical animal rennet and protests the use of laboratory-grown freeze-dried cultures. It also explores how GMO technology is creeping into our cheese and the steps we can take to stop it."

Much longer blurb and details here: http://www.chelseagreen.com/dvds-audio/the-art-of-natural-cheesemaking

shaneb

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 03:38:28 AM »
It appears to be on Google Play Books now for download if anyone's interested. You can download the preview to look at. The price looks similar.

Shane

qdog1955

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 10:42:58 AM »
See a lot of faults in this type of thinking----I'm sure their are some valid points-----but mostly I see someone trying to make money based on unfounded fears and the hopes of people thinking "There has to be a better and easier way"
Qdog

amiriliano

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 01:36:14 PM »
QDog: I completely agree.

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »
Just canceled my order.  I thought it was a book about technical instructions on making cheese and perhaps recipes.  Not interested in discussing political views

amiriliano

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 06:56:14 PM »
Yeah, same here...

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 07:46:57 PM »
"The Art of Natural Cheesemaking is the first cheesemaking book to take a political stance against Big Dairy and to criticize both standard industrial and artisanal cheesemaking practices.

As a professional artisan cheese maker, I pride myself in what we do. We are FAR from "Big Dairy" or industrial and I find that language very offensive. Not something I want to read.

amiriliano

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 08:42:57 PM »
When I read McCalman or Rance, about 1/4 of what they go on about is the industrialization of cheese production and how it's killing artisanal cheeses. I'm sure some of it is true but it seems so over the top sometimes. I do recommend

"The Whole Fromage"

(http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Fromage-Adventures-Delectable-French/dp/0307452069/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435869622&sr=1-1&keywords=the+whole+fromage)

She's much more level-headed, down to earth and doesn't shun every cheese that's mass or semi-mass produced. Plus it's a very fun read.

StuartDunstan

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 09:49:45 PM »
Just canceled my order.  I thought it was a book about technical instructions on making cheese and perhaps recipes.  Not interested in discussing political views

It is. There's a chapter devoted to each type of cheese and how to make it.