Author Topic: Rennet, Microbial - Freeze Dried Powder, CHR Hansen Brand  (Read 12370 times)

Cheese Head

Rennet, Microbial - Freeze Dried Powder, CHR Hansen Brand
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:18:07 PM »
Ordered a bag of 20 small sealed in plastic - tin foil packages of CHR Hansen brand microbial fermented fungus powdered rennet from www.ebay.com USA seller nicajpk for USD12.50 & 1.50 shipping on Tuesday, arrived Friday in surface mail :).

Ebay info page says
one envelope set 18 gallons of milk. Dissolve the Rennet in a cup of water, add 2 teaspoon of salt, add into the milk at 90º F. Stir for 3 minutes, allow milk to rest for 40 minutes.
Packages say in Spanish "coagulates 75 liters of milk", 20 packages x 75 liters/20 US gallons = 1500 liters/395 US gallons of milk! For USD14 thats 4 cents per US gallon.

Twenty envelops of white powder in a bag? That's the way they arrived, felt like I'm buying drugs!

Looked for them on CHR Hansen's website, couldn't find, looks like commercial product. Will post results . . .
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 03:07:13 PM by Cheese Head »

Cheese Head

Re: Rennet, Microbial - Freeze Dried Powder, CHR Hansen Brand
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 06:47:02 PM »
Finally used part of one package on a 3 US gallon cow's milk cheesemaking.

Problem that package is good for 75 liters/20 US gallons and only need enough for 3 US gallons, ~15% of package. Tried to weigh but home cooking scales not accurate enough. Thus assumed needed 20% not 15% and divided into 5 roughly equal piles and used one pile and put remainder in smaller baggy and stored back in freezer.

This stuff is very cheap but pain to measure when only making home hobby cheesemaking volumes.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 03:07:34 PM by Cheese Head »

exhuman

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 04:45:38 AM »
I am a total cheese newbie. Altho I've made Tofu and Paneer a few times.  I've ordered some microbial rennet and was wondering how I would divide it into very small amounts.  I saw these pics and wondered if you'd use razor blades or credit cards and a mirror like users of other powders.   :D :D

Can't wait to get my microbial in the mail and try to divide it up.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:55:02 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum, most bottles of liquid rennet have the recommended dosage amounts on the label, if not there are some manufacturers guides in our Library.

If what you've ordered is in powder or rather I think crystal form, then again as per the label. If label is for the whole package for a large volume of milk, then you could do like many do for starter cultures, either weigh or measure the volume of the total package (without it's container), then divide the recommended volume or weight of milk by the weight or volume of your rennet to determine the dosage rate. Then after using, adjust the amount of rennet up or down depending on coagulation reaction.

Most people measure very small volumes of rennet using tiny measuring spoons. For small cheeses and very small amounts I found this inaccurate, so instead I measure by weight using a small scale that is probably more frequently sold for the purpose you inferred :o.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 02:23:22 PM »
John, great price. What about shipping conditions like temperature?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 12:00:54 AM »
Great score Giovanni! WOuld measuing in say teaspoons. pinches etc work?

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 04:02:04 AM »
Alex and Debi, my OP is from 1.5 years ago when I bought that product (which I'm still using up).

New member exhuman made that new post. Debi, yes tiny smidge and pinch measuring spoons would reasonably work for small cheese batches but I think still not very accurate, thus reason I went down the weighing route.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:54:47 PM »
Jewellery shops have got these very accurate scales for gold down to the miligram I think. If you know a jewellery shop owner you can go there and weigh your rennet powder.

Make sure you have the receipt and actual packaging though, and also wear something nice...