Author Topic: Hello from NSW Australia  (Read 2613 times)

Herc

Hello from NSW Australia
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:56:43 PM »
Hi,

I have been reading this forum for a few months now and find it useful in my cheesemaking endevours. I hope one day to be able to help others.

In 6 months of cheesemaking I have discovered a simple philosophy about making cheese.

"Making cheese is easy - eating some of the results can be very difficult"

Herc

Cheese Head

Re: Hello from NSW Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 01:46:24 AM »
Howdy Herc in NSW and welcome officially ;D.

Very true, my wife won't even go near some of the cheeses I've made and eaten!

As you've been making cheese for several months, I sure you have lots of ideas, tips and traps type info to add, looking forward to your input . . . and some pictures of your cheeses!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:31:29 PM »
Welcome aboard Herc.

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 11:51:14 AM »
Welcome, Herc.  The most difficult thing about making cheese for me is waiting for it to age. 

Some of those cheeses can be kinda tough to eat, too!

Herc

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 01:09:36 AM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Mrs KK where in Wi are you? I lived in Milwaukee for 3 years.

Thanks again
Herc

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 02:27:31 PM »
I'm way across the state, north of Menomonie.  Which puts me about an hour from Minnesota.

How'd you make it to Oz?

Herc

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 12:51:35 PM »
Hi again Mrs KK,

I went to Milwaukee from Australia with the company I work for and then moved back to Australia. Loved my time there, but am happy to be back to 60 degree winters!

I return to Milwaukee 3 - 4 times per year for work. My next trip is in July and I hope to visit some of the cheese factories around Madison

Regards
Herc

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 03:04:14 PM »
Yeah, we had only one day of above zero Farenheit during the month of January this year.  I was born and raised in the Upper Midwest, but give me a break!

So you'll be here during your winter.  I hope you are able to find some good cheese factories to visit.  We have two within 30 minutes of where we live, but I've never done the tours.  I actually live in an old cheese factory - it was closed down for cheesemaking about 35 years ago, then renovated as a house and pottery factory.  I started making cheese here (strictly small scale in the kitchen) about a year and a half ago.

You must be in pretty high demand in your field for them to ship you halfway around the world!

Tea

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 08:33:23 PM »
Good morning Herc and welcome to the forum.  I am also an Aussie from QLD.  What cheeses have you made so far, and what is your favourite?

Herc

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 08:44:14 AM »

You must be in pretty high demand in your field for them to ship you halfway around the world!

But they shipped me back!! ;D

Hi Tea

So far I have a short list - Brie, Fetta, Haloumi, Caerphilly, Cream chesse, Labna, Bocconcini, Mozzarella and some Cultured Butter. I have the same book as you by the look of some of your recipes you have posted.

I think my favorite is either the Caerphilly or the Haloumi. I have modified the Haloumi recipe a bit after watching Cheese Slices on Austar and Everyone that has tried it loves it.

So far I haven't got a Brie worth mentioning.

I'm lucky that my sons girlfriend's parents own a dairy farm

Regards
Herc