Author Topic: Problem posting  (Read 1839 times)

John@PC

Problem posting
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:20:16 PM »
I just posted on the "Discussion" forum but when I click on my post all I see is a blank page.  Would someone please check this link and see if the same thing is happening to you (i.e. a blank page)?  It could be that I maxed out the megapixel limit on pictures but wanted to confirm so I can delete the post and start over.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Problem posting
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 11:37:14 PM »
Yeah, John, blank page here too.

I posted about this here.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

shaneb

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 11:50:08 PM »
Yeah, I get a blank page. Try creating it with an attachment first. It doesn't seem to play nicely with some large attachments.

Shane

Online Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 01:11:08 AM »
John@PC, I've run all maintenance options in the forum software and hasn't resolved the problem. Attached is screenshot of recent posted Attachments, assume you're problem post is Edisto? Those are large attachments, but not the largest. Please confirm and I will delete those attachments and see if resolves the problem.

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 11:33:59 AM »
Thanks Boofer and Webmaster John  I did repost the Edisto one with no attachments, but when I went back to add them by the second picture it hung up.  John, if you can delete those attachments at least I would have the original and will see if I can tack on at least one pic.

Online Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 11:43:49 AM »
John@PC, just deleted 3 attachments, your post appears visible now, don't know which one was problem, happy trails.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 06:16:38 PM »
At the risk of slightly hijacking this thread ... (sorry, John!)

When the issue of picture size has come up before, I've not had a Windows-compatible program to suggest to make it easy to resize and rotate as needed. But I've just been reading a thread on CNet where IrfanView was talked about multiple times/by multiple users as the "cat's meow" for this purpose. A quick scan of the website (http://www.irfanview.com/) shows that it can do quite a number of things with images, but the one of particular interest for this use is batch conversion of images -- being able to convert a whole set of pictures as needed, rather than having to process them one-by-one.

I have absolutely no connection with IrfanView, and in fact I've never actually used it, since I run Linux on my primary machine. (On Linux, I use a command-line program called imagemagick, together with a bash script, to automate batch conversions -- probably not the preferred cup of tea for most users. :)) I've been wishing, when the topic comes up here and on other forums, that I had an option to offer for Windows users -- and this seems to be a good candidate, from what I'm seeing on CNet.

Anybody here already using IrfanView, who can comment on its usefulness or lack thereof?
-- Andy

John@PC

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 03:31:37 AM »
Thanks John and Andy.  Will limit the pics to the most important (i.e. showing cheese).

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 06:18:02 AM »
I've not had a Windows-compatible program to suggest to make it easy to resize and rotate as needed.
I have suggested Paint.net several times over the years. It works well, is free, and offers full image capability. Here's a Mac version.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »
Thanks, Boofer -- good to have another recommendation to offer. I dug around a bit on the Paint.NET website and didn't see a reference to batch conversion -- is that included as a feature?

I have to say that both IrfanView and Paint.NET seem like they might be over-kill if all a person wants is to resize and correct rotation on a batch of files. What I'd really like is something so completely simple to use that there would be no good reason not to resize pictures before posting to any forum -- something like the Android app called ImageShrink. (Of course, some forum software does the re-sizing for you ... but thus far, most such forums don't seem to handle the rotation issue very well.)

I guess what I really want is something for Windows that works like my Linux bash script. Though it is a script that CAN be run from the command line, it does not have to be run that way -- I have it linked into the graphical file browser, so that I can select files, then right-click to run the conversion. It automatically creates a sub-folder with the reduced-size files, ready for posting.

Maybe I need to write a simple little cross-platform program, pulling in the imagemagick libraries, to do just this one thing ... in all my spare time, of course. :)
-- Andy

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 04:31:29 AM »
I can select files, then right-click to run the conversion. It automatically creates a sub-folder with the reduced-size files, ready for posting.
See that wouldn't be feasible for me because I snap a few takes of similar views and then pick the best quality shot out of the bunch. After all, they aren't all top quality pictures (blurred, too dark, doesn't show the "look" I'm trying to achieve, etc.). :(

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 07:00:51 PM »
Well, I didn't say that very well. Like you, I only convert a few of the pictures I take. What I actually mean is that I select only the pictures I want to convert, then right-click and select the conversion option that I added to the menu. It converts only the selected pictures, creating a subdirectory to hold them if it doesn't already exist -- that way I'm not over-writing my originals, which I want to keep. In my case, I have usually made adjustments as I'm taking the pictures if they are too dark/light/whatever, so I rarely need to play with that while I'm readying for uploading. But occasionally I'll fire up GIMP or some such program to adjust if I just didn't get a good shot.
-- Andy

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »
Yeah, sounds like we're on the same page. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!