Author Topic: Camemberts - Differences when using raw milk?  (Read 2306 times)

Revilo

Camemberts - Differences when using raw milk?
« on: July 08, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
Until now, I have always pasteurized the milk at 72°C before making it into Camemberts.
About a week ago, I made a batch with raw milk for the first time, hoping to get more flavour. However, it seems like it is taking longer for the white surface mould to develop. Anyone tried something similar using the same milk source?
Going to check the cheeses again this evening and will post a picture.

SOSEATTLE

Re: Camemberts - Differences when using raw milk?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 01:15:24 AM »
I typically use raw milk to make all my bloomy rind cheeses, but have also used pasteurized milk at times and have not really noticed a difference in the time it takes white mold to appear. Are your aging conditions, make recipe, and cultures the same?

Susan

Revilo

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:28:55 AM »
Hi Susan,
it could be that they fridge as been a bit too cold. I have a modified wine fridge that can't really cool to much more than 10°C below room temp. It's been really hot here the last few weeks, so I have been putting freezer blocks in the fridge. I'm now thinking that the bouncing between 9-15 °C might not be optimal  ;D
Last night they were looking better, but still quite patchy. Guess I'll just have to be patient...

andreark

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 09:59:04 PM »
I have always used raw Jersey and my fuzzies have always taken 10 to 11 days to cover nicely.

andreark

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 01:21:28 AM »
They are looking good  ;D. Make sure you keep the humidity high with some air circulation. That helps with mold growth. I age mine in a wine refrigerator too and in covered plastic containers that are opened daily. Wipe away any condensation. I keep a damp paper towel in the containers below the rack that I have in the containers also. I generally start getting the "fur coat" in about 3 days and well covered within a week.

Susan

Revilo

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 11:05:30 AM »
They did cover up eventually and were looking good yesterday when I wrapped them up in cheese paper and put them in the normal fridge. Will open them up again in about 3 weeks (They were already starting to soften under the surface). Pretty excited  ;D
The Sushi-mats are usually good for draining (Stilton was fine on it), but the white mould tended to get stuck in them and some got ripped off when flipping them. Thinking of getting some plastic draining mats for next time

PS Will post a picture when they are ready

andreark

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 08:30:50 PM »
The bloomies are my favorites to make...Their soft white fuzzy coats are beautiful.

andreark

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 01:06:11 AM »
The bloomies are my favorites to make...Their soft white fuzzy coats are beautiful.

I agree  ;D.

Susan

Alison

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 02:11:36 PM »
Hi Revilo

I have made large batches of both raw+pasteurised white mould cheese, on the same day (about ~40 times), to mature in the same cool room conditions. Definitely the raw one is slower, and the taste is not so sharp, rather... larger.

regards
Alison

Revilo

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »
Hi Alison,

thanks for the info. I ended up wrapping them up after 14 days. Really excited to see what they taste like.
I'm considering making another batch this weekend  :D

Oliver

Revilo

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 10:35:31 AM »
They have been ripening for a total of 50 days now and, apart from a little too much salt, taste really good :D Got some Geo in the meantime, so will be adding that to the next batch   :D