Author Topic: Edisto Vacation  (Read 4596 times)

John@PC

Edisto Vacation
« on: July 09, 2015, 03:44:36 AM »
More to come (hopefully).

John@PC

Re: Edisto Vacation
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 03:48:53 AM »
Woo-Hoo!!  I finally got the pictures to post with help from Boofer and Webmaster John. 

We spent summer vacation at beautiful and historic Edisto Island in SC.  This is the fourth summer there and this was the best one ever, enhanced by a pretty good cheese selection during the course of the week.  Reblochon, Gruyere, Stilton, Caerphilly, Emmental, and a few others including a variety of cold smoked cheeses.  Most popular was the Reblochon followed by the Stilton and (a surprise to me) the smoked cheeses.  My presentation could have been better but the pretty girl to my right really helps :).  Anyone who has done a "summer" cheese tray feel free to post a pic. 

qdog1955

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 10:32:24 AM »
John-----I think you are creating a politically incorrect category here. What about the other three seasons----don't they have rights, too? Seriously----you could have invited the rest of us to sample that wonderful looking tray of goodies. ;)
Qdog

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 01:37:57 PM »
Hi John. That's a delicious-looking cheese assortment. Congrats.

The pictures are native resolution straight from the camera I guess. They're pretty big...and they take quite a while to load. I'm back on my soap box advocating for folks to take a moment to shrink the size of their pics down to something smaller...like 1024x768. You still retain good resolution, the pics load faster, and the forum software doesn't choke. A)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 03:42:59 PM »
Great looking cheeses! AC4U.

I had a cheese tray, actually two, that I did for a class that came over earlier this week -- but I didn't think to get a picture. :( And now some of the varieties are gone! :(:(

On my tray I had Lancashire, cheddar, Gouda, Swiss (Emmentaler), Montasio, Camembert, Gorgonzola, Manchego, and a parma-style. Whew! A lot of work over the last year, all coming together at the same moment.
-- Andy

amiriliano

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 07:22:15 PM »
Nice work, John.

Hopefully mine will look that good as I'm using my PC cube!

AC4U

Kern

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 10:40:30 PM »
Woo-Hoo!!  I finally got the pictures to post with help from Boofer and Webmaster John. 

My presentation could have been better but the pretty girl to my right really helps :)

That pretty girl would be your lovely daughter, right?  ;)

Alpkäserei

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 11:18:29 PM »
Boofer - how does one shrink photos? does the forum supply a utility or is there an easy way to do it i'm completely overlooking?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 11:28:44 PM »
We've been discussing that a bit in another thread. Some forum software will resize pictures, but not the software for this forum.

Are you on a Windows machine? If so, check out IrfanView (www.irfanview.com) or Paint.NET (www.getpaint.net) -- these are freeware programs that can convert pictures as needed. (No relation to either one, and in fact I haven't myself used either one, but I've seen strong recommendations for both.)

Basically, you will select the pictures you want to post; do a batch-conversion, saving to a new location; then upload the converted pictures. Yes, it sounds a bit tedious ... but really it takes almost no time (and you may save more time than you lose due to a quicker upload of the picture, especially if your internet is the least bit slow), and quickly the process becomes second nature.
-- Andy

qdog1955

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 09:53:37 AM »
I can change the size through Office Picture Manager in the Windows Photo Gallery ---or on the camera I'm using.
Qdog

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 04:24:15 PM »
A lot of the time sizing pix is the last thing on my mind when I am making cheese, I can do it on my camera if I think about it before hand, if I have left the camera on the highest setting they come out at 5 to 9 megabytes,
if on a medium setting they turn out to be 3 to 6, on the lowest 2 to 4.
Ideally I would love to remember to set it on the low one, I can use most of the medium yet some of them are to big and set on high they are way to big for the forum.
In that case I have to run them through lightroom.
I have found if I just load them into lightroom I can use them all and eliminate any hassle, but I am lazy and screw it up all the time :-[
So sometimes it's all good and others I frustrate myself  >:(

Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Alpkäserei

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 04:38:01 PM »
My motives may have been ulterior...

I take a lot of pictures and do a lot of filming for materials for publication, etc. and as such all of my various devices are always on the highest possible setting. I often have need to crop out a small section of a large photo to isolate a part of a scene, something like that and also for pictures of things that require further study, sometimes I need super high resolution so I can zoom in on details.

But sometimes I want to share some of my photos and like we are discussing here, that can be a hassle for everyone else. A lot of forums I am involved with do it for me.

For putting materials together for self publication, updating blogs, etc. it's necessary to reduce the size of photos.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 06:13:24 PM »
Likewise, I always leave my camera on its highest resolution -- I want that if I choose to print anything, or zoom in, or so on. But when I upload, I covert and save a separate set to a lower resolution.
-- Andy

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 03:43:29 AM »
Likewise, I always leave my camera on its highest resolution -- I want that if I choose to print anything, or zoom in, or so on. But when I upload, I covert and save a separate set to a lower resolution.
What he said.... :)

I snap pics and move them at highest resolution to my specific cheese style in the Cheese folder. Later I select the best, clearest shot, and resize, crop, and/or adjust the brightness as needed. The tweaked pic is then moved to a forum subfolder. When I post it's easy then to go to the folder I want to post.

It really takes little time to get it done. On previous occasions I've even posted up to three threads simultaneously, being able to do it because the pics are easy to locate and they're ready to go.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 04:20:05 AM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

John@PC

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »
That pretty girl would be your lovely daughter, right?  ;)
"My daughter" will love you for that Kern :).  As for picture res I thought I would do a test.  I had a 4+MB picture (from Edisto Island, of course) that I tried to post and got the white screen.  I then sized down by a factor of around 25 to less than 200kB using MS Paint (which everyone with a PC should have).  Takes about 30 sec. to do the conversion and would be glad to give any details if anyone wants. 

Also thanks for the nice comments but I regretfully have to say "Where's the Beef Cheese Tray Pictures" :(.

Update:  I posted the comment first and then added the picture and it posted REAL fast!  I definately agree with all of the "old dogs" out there to dumb down the pictures before posting!