Author Topic: Technical help for vat temp control please  (Read 4848 times)

amiriliano

Technical help for vat temp control please
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:29:56 PM »
Hi all

I have a new setup that includes an induction cooktop. The cooktop is plugged in to a temp control switch (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4TJR00?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage)

It works great. The problem is, when I reach goal temp the cooktop switches off as it should. As the milk or curds get colder, the switch turns off,trying to warm it up. The issue is that the cooktop has now been switched of and needs to be manually turned on again.

Any ideas? QDog?

Thanks all

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Technical help for vat temp control please
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:30:11 PM »
Induction cookers are not a great choice for cheese making. They are not engineered to hold the temperature of the liquid in the pot.

shaneb

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 08:54:03 PM »
I don't think the external control box will probably work with an induction cook top unfortunately. You will be switching the whole of the electronics on and off. Unless it has been designed to continue on after a power outage, then each power glitch from the temperature controller is just resetting it. I use an external controller with a portable electric hot plate that uses an electric element. I now use a Bain Marie, but it's pretty much the same. Good luck!

Shane

qdog1955

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:47:49 AM »
  Because of the built in safety features of the cooktop, I don't think the controller will do what you want. I use my large pot on the induction cooktop as a double boiler and place my smaller pot inside, that works great for up to 4.5 gallons. I sometimes use the large pot ( 7 gallon ) directly on the cooktop for larger makes------but you have to watch the temp. like a hawk, especially at the bottom of the vat as it will get way to hot and requires a lot of stirring---with practice and playing with the controls you can make this work------but to be honest-----I have found it easier and more controllable to turn the temp up on my hot water heater and use that deep sink of mine as the water bath.
 I know HJK uses the induction heater, maybe he will add his wisdom on the subject.
Qdog

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 11:42:17 PM »
My take on induction, stir often, check temp often.
If you are close to temp and it is heating up don't walk away.
I use a 5 1/2 gallon vat/pot and heat it up directly on the induction top,
I have had much better and less stressful makes than I had with my double boiler method.
You can't use a temperature controller with this unless you hardwire it, I don't know if you can :-\
I have missed my temps by 1 to 5 degrees, that was when I first started using it, a little upsetting yet not a disaster.
When I make cheese I always try to eliminate as many distractions as possible, there is always one or two issues that pop up, I just try and deal with them ;)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

amiriliano

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 03:04:46 PM »
Good advice HKJ. Thanks. So far I really like the induction and I agree it seems to eliminate the double boiler need.

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 11:32:46 PM »
The problem is, when I reach goal temp the cooktop switches off as it should. As the milk or curds get colder, the switch turns off,trying to warm it up. The issue is that the cooktop has now been switched of and needs to be manually turned on again.
Any ideas? QDog?
I'm not QDog but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express his kennel one night  :) :).  Safety first: What is the power requirements for your induction cooktop?  On the label in the Amazon link the Willhi WH1436 temperature controller is rated at 8A, but in the details it shows power rating is "Relay contact capacity: 5A/220VAC, 5A/110VAC".    That may be good enough for some small fridges but not so much for induction or "griddle" cooktops.   Could be a typo but even at 8A you're probably pushing it.

As an interesting aside we sell Willhi's 7016D+ temperature controllers pre-wired rated at 15A and a few months ago our sales dropped off significantly.  Reason no doubt is Willhi's introduction of the WH1436.  I know Willhi's owner through the business (Jian Tian, goes by "Bill").  His is an interesting story of an low-level engineer who thought he could make a better mousetrap and started a business that dominates the digital control world.  That said there are other alternatives out there (although not many at his prices).

AND, as the Dog and H-K-J say the primary problem is your trying to use an off-on switch on an electronic control that resets every time you, well, switch it off.  It's a cruel world  :(.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:38:14 PM by John@PC »

amiriliano

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 05:26:49 PM »
Thanks John for that information. I got both the cook top and the switch as a gift so that's part of the reason I'm stuck with these particular models. I've made two cooks with this set up and it worked out very well. As HKJ said, you have to watch the temp closely. It has however freed me during the times I am waiting for a temp increase as it shuts off immediately, albeit permanently until I press the button again.

With my skills, if I attempt to rewire anything, I will be soon looking for a new home.

Kern

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 01:00:30 AM »
A negative Amazon review for Willhi's WH-1436:

0 of 1 people found the following review helpful
1May be dangerous...
ByK&Ron June 21, 2015
Verified Purchase
Plugged it in and it immediately started to crackle and smoke! This may be a fire hazard so be careful.
  :(

Sometime cheap becomes very expensive!   ;)

qdog1955

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 10:29:01 AM »
the contacts on that model are apparently only rated at 5 amps and that's not much for most appliances.
Qdog

John@PC

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 10:01:25 PM »
I actually contacted Jian Tian, owner of Willhi, and asked him two questions using my Google translator: (1) what the current rating is for the WH-1436, and (2) could he sell them to me.  Answer for Q1 was 8A which is good for most fridges but not so for most heating appliances.  Answer to question (2) was no, he couldn't sell it to me directly >:(.  It is available on Amazon for less than $30 so maybe he has a dedicated distributor.  If you're controlling a small to med. fridge I would think it would work ok but compressors have a current spike on start up and if your compressor craps out your cave becomes a DBD (Damn Big Doorstop).  We'll continue to sell our LPTC's (which are Willhi's 7016D+ controllers with 30A contacts and 15A rating) and forgive Mr. Tian for his snub A).

amiriliano

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 04:57:50 PM »
John - I learned my lesson. Next time I'm buying from you.

amiriliano

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 04:58:55 PM »
Your make custom stuff also, correct?

John@PC

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 08:21:54 PM »
Your make custom stuff also, correct?
Yes, I would say we make half of what we sell.  I've made a few custom cutters and messed around with different  configurations for the controllers but have everything pretty settled now.  My background was in product development but have come to find out you can always make better mousetraps but at some point you need to nail things down and take care of business (hear that Kern :)?).

amiriliano

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 11:16:22 PM »
Ever thought about making cost effective pasteurizers?