Author Topic: pH Meter  (Read 13935 times)

Minamyna

Re: pH Meter
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 05:34:27 PM »
Well said Wayne, I have not yet found a meter I trust either and the little disposable dip sticks are looking better and better.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 07:34:41 AM »
If you lived closer,  i would say come over and lets take a look at your pH meter...

Yeah, Ohio is a little out of my jurisdiction, what with the ankle monitor and such. (Just kidding  ;) ) I did buy a house in Arkansas four years ago, but I wised up and moved back here in short order.

I've got a toggle in to Extech Support to see if they can offer any change in course for me. Seems like everyone else that is testing pH is doing just fine. So what's my problem?  >:( Hey, it's not the first digital (or analog) meter I've ever used....  8)

It's a mystery to me. I'd like to clear it up so I can have added confidence that my cheese makes are proceeding on cue. Where I screwed up my very first cheese by overheating and underheating and you-name-it, I've had the temperature control down to a pretty comfortable point. My temps are dead-on. That's a comfort. Now, what about the status of the acidification? Work in progress.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tropit

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2010, 09:44:54 AM »
Why can't you use the paper strips?  They're cheap and fairly reliable.

~ C.

stinkycheeseandmore

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2010, 01:16:39 PM »
from what I have always been told is that the paper strips are not accurate enough for cheesemaking. However, given the issues I have had with my meter I am second guessing my decision, have wasted too many gallons of wonderful raw milk.

JohnnyBHammerer

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2010, 04:35:57 PM »
If you go with test strips, make sure you can see the necessary colors.  As a slightly color deficient person I have trouble depending on the colors used.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2010, 06:16:50 PM »
Color-blindness is not an asset. No strips in my future.  ::)

If I can get to the root of the meter problem, that should be a better solution. You know, sometimes technology is a good thing!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

wharris

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2010, 01:54:43 AM »
If you re going to base your cheese making processes on pH,  Test strips will not get it done.  They are just not accurate enought.

Bottom line is that one needs trustworthy gear.

ColdCoffee

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2010, 11:11:20 PM »
I am considering getting the same meter you have Wayne. I see that the replacement tips are about $50. How often do you have to replace them? If you have not yet, how long have you had it and how often do you use it?

JohnnyBHammerer

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 04:37:16 PM »
I am not sure how long it will last.  However, if you get the ExStick 110 (instead of the 100) you can refill the probe to get more life out of it.  Also, treating the probe well can help it last longer.  Keep the cap on tightly and keep the little sponge in the bottom of the cap wet with the pH 4.01 solution.

wharris

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 01:00:39 AM »
I am considering getting the same meter you have Wayne. I see that the replacement tips are about $50. How often do you have to replace them? If you have not yet, how long have you had it and how often do you use it?
I have never had to replace the tip.
I use it every weekend, on either cheese or on Wine stuff. I am always doing someothing with it.
I just calibrate it about every other weekend.
I always keep the tip moist.

homeacremom

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2010, 03:05:03 AM »
I have the Extech 110....

about a year- no issues with probe, still on the original batteries, bought new bottles of buffer solutions though.
Used approx. 4 days a week for 6 months
Did not use for 4 consecutive months, but marked the calendar, opened and rewet the sponge to insure it did not dry out during that time.
I start each make by checking the reading on all three buffer solutions and calibrate as needed; about every 2 weeks using it for approx. 5 batches per week.

I'm really pleased with this purchase and all that I've learned about cheesemaking by utilizing it. 
I've been able to adjust the amounts of culture I innoculate with, and it has proven to be a great teacher for the pasta filata family of cheeses. I can actually make perfect mozzarella with sensory input now because I've had the meter to familarize me with the markers of each ph target.

Minamyna

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 03:49:54 AM »
That is really awesome HAM. I should really get one... sigh....
how long are you guys using your buffer solutions? Are they in bottles?

wharris

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2010, 01:44:39 AM »
I order my buffer solutions in pint sized bottles...
I pour a tiny bit out in a beaker for calibration ever week or two..
The pint sized bottle last forever...

homeacremom

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2010, 04:20:15 AM »
I had packets of buffer solution to begin with. They are a pain to handle...much prefer the pint size and pouring a little out into beakers as needed.

I haven't quite decided how often it is necessary to replenish with fresh buffer solutions, but don't plan on doing it more than once a year...if that.  Quite a variation in opinions on their aging and degeneration and I'm not sure who to believe.  A)