Author Topic: First time Stilton - Slimy  (Read 1949 times)

jamesthornhill

First time Stilton - Slimy
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:14:31 AM »
Hi,

I have made a Stilton Blue for the 1st time.   I'm not sure whether this is correct or nor - but the surface of the cheese is very slimy (photo attached).  I am surface rubbing once a week with a 6% salt brine, and maturing in fridge at 11.5C / 90% humidity.  I am letting it air breathe for 30mins or so every 2 days and turning over.  It has been like this for about 5 weeks now.

Any suggestions as to whether this is correct, and if any actions I can take to avert any disaster?

Thanks very much

James

SOSEATTLE

Re: First time Stilton - Slimy
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 01:17:48 AM »
I have never made a Stilton style cheese so will defer to other experts here, but don't recall anyone washing the rind on a regular basis like you indicate you are doing. Keeping the rind wet on any cheese will tend to make it slimy. What make recipe are you following.

Susan

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 12:45:23 AM »
Not having made a blue until today .....

but one of the reasons for washing  a cheese is to keep surface blues away .

When I have had blues show up on my reblochons I wash them to kill it off.

But the good thing is it looks as though you have some yummy blues under the surface .

Hopefully some blue makers crime in too.

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 12:49:15 AM »
 ??? But don't you want the surface blues? Most of the blue cheeses I have seen have all kinds of surface growth, not just blue-brownish and even orange. They add to the flavor profile.

Susan

bratrules1

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 04:45:57 AM »
I agree stop washing and let it dry out!! Am pretty sure that you will get blue growth once you stop washing it.

jamesthornhill

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 09:16:35 AM »
The instructions for Stilton I have found to refer to Washed Rind method.  Here is a nice description:

http://www.theweekendartisan.co.uk/washed-rind-cheeses

It is intended to keep the rind soft.

Problem is that the rind is too slimy/gooey.  Maybe this is correct.  I can't tell.  Picking up the cheese it feels like it is about to turn to mush.  I am tempted to cut it in half and see what the inside is doing.  Thoughts anyone?

Thanks
James

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 01:00:31 PM »

6% solution is too high for b. Linnens to form well , so this could be why it is still slimey . And may be too high for blues, but for sure if it is wet they will not form .

I think I would wipe the slime off the surface with a rag   Very carefully wipe some blue spores on the surface  with a qtip and leave it for a few weeks  in the mini cave  with correct humidity

( I am thinking that the 6% may have killed all the blue spores on the surface and you do not want wild ones starting up )

If things start to improve then I would repeirce as you might have closed them up with all the washing

For sure even with everything working well it is too early yet to eat so why open it up

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 12:57:10 AM »
Is this slimy or is this something that would dry out? If the former, maybe can you scrub it off? If the latter, dry it out.