Author Topic: Low starting milk ph  (Read 1506 times)

lululala

Low starting milk ph
« on: July 13, 2015, 02:42:33 PM »
Hi,

I am attempting to get a cheddar recipe working however my (raw goat) PH is starting @ ~6.3-6.4 which according to the recipe I am looking at is below the acceptable range AFTER culturing.  Any thoughts?  I have recently began using a PH meter and my drain out PH is ~5.15 which I understand is too low, but is I am starting acidic....anyway i am not sure how to compensate fpr this or if I really need to anyway.

Thanks

IllinoisCheeseHead

Re: Low starting milk ph
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 03:24:39 PM »
How soon after collecting the milk, do you test?.  Also what is the temperature of the milk.  You also may want to confirm that the probe is fine and calibrated.

If you test regular milk, what is its pH?

Thanks

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 06:08:27 PM »
I am very excited to see someone from close by who is making cheese -- I live near Angier, about 30 miles south of Raleigh. I'd love to know where you are getting the raw goat milk! How long have you been making cheese?

Since I've never had the opportunity to work with raw goat milk, I'm afraid I don't have an answer on the expected starting pH. I have read that milk pH
straight from the animal can be an indication of health vs. potential problems such as mastitis ... though I think I read that the latter results in higher pH, rather than lower. Hopefully Tiarella or others who keep goats and make cheese from the milk will chime in.

If it is simply a matter of goat milk pH starting out lower, ie that the milk is healthy, then I wouldn't be concerned about the starting pH being below the culturing target per se; the bigger concern would be to adjust so that the final pH is in the right range. That might mean using less culture, lower or higher heat targets, shorter time, etc.

Do you have a copy of Gianaclis Caldwell's book, Matering Artisan Cheesemaking? If not, this is a wonderful resource, part of which specifically addresses how to adjust when things are not going according to plan.
-- Andy

lululala

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:25:32 PM »
Cheesehead,

Just ran it again for a fresh batch (goats are busy  :))
PH 6.41
Temp 62 F
collected yesterday AM, sanitary (milk machine)collection into 1/2 gallon jars into ice bath.  I typically get below 40 F in an hour or so.

Awake,
 I am in south Raleigh between FV and Garner, depending on where you are in Angier 20-30 min.  We have a small (7 in milk) goat dairy so I have a lot of milk this time of year.  Pretty much have chevre and feta nailed.  Cheddar has been a hit or miss prospect for the past 2 seasons.  I really want a cheese to store so I am working on perfecting the cheddar now.

Brent

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:51:36 PM »
I am very excited to see someone from close by who is making cheese --
I second that Andy.  Hi LuluLala from a sandlapper who spent 5 yrs. in Raliegh going to NCSU (loved it so much I added an extra year :)).   I can't weigh in on the goat milk thing; just wanted to say hi.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 12:15:38 PM »
Brent, other than the pH readings, what problem(s), if any, are you having with the cheddar?

By the way, I neglected to say: welcome to the forum!
-- Andy

lululala

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 02:03:26 AM »
None really, seems to mat and press fine, texture may be a little rubbery but I will double check after it has air dried a bit more.  Hard cheeses are such a time commitment.  I want to be sure it going to be fine before waxing and cellaring.

Brent

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 04:59:18 AM »
I had a similar problem but with cow milk. Mastitis does make the pH go higher. I thought perhaps the bacteria in the raw milk were multiplying too fast with insufficient chilling. But I took my pH meter to the animal and checked the milk right after clearing the teat, and the pH was still low. Turned out the pH meter was not working correctly, even though carefully cleaned and calibrated.  Gave me a good reason to get a better pH meter. The new meter showed pH in normal range. The cheese turned out fine with either pH meter, but with the new one I did not worry that I was chasing the pH the whole time.
Susan