Author Topic: Salt Vinegar Wash  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Gobae

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
Salt Vinegar Wash
« on: July 14, 2015, 11:21:46 AM »
So I'm making a roquefort from Karlin's "Artisan Cheese Making at Home" and it's developed some green musty mold on the outside. Karlin indicates this is not unusual and to wipe it off and follow up by spraying with a "1:1 Salt-Vinegar solution.

My issue is that I can't get the salt dissolved into the vinegar at that ratio. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better anti-mold solution/ratio?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Salt Vinegar Wash
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:30:03 PM »
I don't think the salt dissolves in the vinegar; rather it acts as an abrasive to help scrub the cheese. :)

Another option is to use white wine to help wipe the cheese down.
-- Andy

Kern

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 01:05:35 AM »
A "wiping solution" is usually 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of vinegar in 1 cup of water.  Try that.

Offline Gobae

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 11:37:31 AM »
Ah! That makes much more sense.

BTW, is this typically a "use daily" sort of thing or only new unwatned growth is seen?

Kern

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 12:39:19 AM »
I've only used it for natural rind cheeses and found that the rind needs wiping with the solution about every 5-7 days during the first month or so and then only if mold appears.  These cheeses usually form a very resistant rind after six or so weeks and mold can't take hold as the rind is too dry.

Offline Gobae

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 04:49:45 PM »
Ok, so I needed to use the wiping solution twice in the past two weeks but now I have a new issue. The outside is turning rusty/orange and slimy. It smells (oddly enough) like the "A&D Antibiotic Ointment" I had as a kid in the 1970's with normal undertones of a normal roquefort/blue smell too. The musty smell as well as the green powdery mold is gone.

Additional Info: 26 days old, skewered/pierced 20 days ago, temp 53F, 85-90%RH, green mold appeared 14 days ago, wiped 10 days ago & 5 days ago, orange color developed and slimy feel 3 days ago

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:58:56 PM by Gobae »

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 10:56:17 PM »
It smells (oddly enough) like the "A&D Antibiotic Ointment" I had as a kid in the 1970's with normal undertones of a normal roquefort/blue smell too. The musty smell as well as the green powdery mold is gone.
Channeling my memories of A&D ointment I would think first that its a yeast but rusty orange sounds more like bL.  It looks good now and I'm sure will be fine, but I guess if it were me I probably would have just done a dry brushing as the green mold is pretty normal, and after all it is a blue (green, gray, whatever depending on the culture ::)).

FRANCOIS

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 05:55:28 AM »
You've developed yeast and there's nothing much you can do about it now. You could try a heavy brine but it's unlikely to clear it up. Hopefully it's tasty yeast.