Author Topic: cheese cave cohabitation question  (Read 841 times)

Offline Wayne Harris

• Wine and Cheesemaker
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 53
  • Wayne Harris
cheese cave cohabitation question
« on: May 05, 2009, 07:51:27 PM »
I am thinking about buying a refrigerator for my cheese aging requirements. 

Is there any way to use this single fridge for both waxed rind/sealed rind/ natural rind cheese, and those cheeses that are allowed to mold over like stiltons, certain cheddars, and camemberts?

I have about 4 wheels of bandaged and larded cheddars that i have allowed to crust-over with natural mold. 
I see no way these moldy wheels can co-exist in the same cave with cheeses like parmesean and gouda with natural rinds.

My question is how do others deal with this?  Do you maintain seperate caves?

Wayne A. Harris - in vino veritas

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Bella

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
Re: cheese cave cohabitation question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:21:58 PM »
That's a great question, Wayne.

I have two wine fridges, one with a single compartment I label loosely 'hard cheeses' and another with two compartments, one I use for white mould and the other blue mould. It doesn't always work out as neatly as that as demands surface, but I try to keep to it as closely as possible.

I have also tried a few washed rind cheeses, and am not sure where they fit into my scheme, given that I can't afford yet another fridge!

But a wine fridge is still a problem with humidity and I find that I have to cover the cheeses, and that becomes a problem with air circulation, and if I leave the cover to enable air flow (even a tiny bit) those b....y vinegar flies get in and devastate the cheese - anything soft or damp gets targeted. I have lots so many batches in the last few weeks, particularly the washed rind ones plus a stilton and a camembert.

It has been interesting (not sure if that's the correct word!) - they have not been a problem for almost a year and now that my cheese making is getting a tad better, the flies are into it. Discernment, I guess!
B

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 95
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: cheese cave cohabitation question
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 05:03:03 PM »
Just a thought but mold is a spore - I would guess air circulation would have an affect on cross contamination. After reading you post on the new fridge first I don't think you'll have a problem. Just keep them in separate chambers.