Author Topic: cheese cave cohabitation question  (Read 1606 times)

wharris

cheese cave cohabitation question
« on: May 06, 2009, 12:51:27 AM »
I am thinking about buying a refrigerator for my cheese aging requirements. 

Is there any way to use this single fridge for both waxed rind/sealed rind/ natural rind cheese, and those cheeses that are allowed to mold over like stiltons, certain cheddars, and camemberts?

I have about 4 wheels of bandaged and larded cheddars that i have allowed to crust-over with natural mold. 
I see no way these moldy wheels can co-exist in the same cave with cheeses like parmesean and gouda with natural rinds.

My question is how do others deal with this?  Do you maintain seperate caves?

Bella

Re: cheese cave cohabitation question
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 01:21:58 AM »
That's a great question, Wayne.

I have two wine fridges, one with a single compartment I label loosely 'hard cheeses' and another with two compartments, one I use for white mould and the other blue mould. It doesn't always work out as neatly as that as demands surface, but I try to keep to it as closely as possible.

I have also tried a few washed rind cheeses, and am not sure where they fit into my scheme, given that I can't afford yet another fridge!

But a wine fridge is still a problem with humidity and I find that I have to cover the cheeses, and that becomes a problem with air circulation, and if I leave the cover to enable air flow (even a tiny bit) those b....y vinegar flies get in and devastate the cheese - anything soft or damp gets targeted. I have lots so many batches in the last few weeks, particularly the washed rind ones plus a stilton and a camembert.

It has been interesting (not sure if that's the correct word!) - they have not been a problem for almost a year and now that my cheese making is getting a tad better, the flies are into it. Discernment, I guess!
B

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: cheese cave cohabitation question
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 10:03:03 PM »
Just a thought but mold is a spore - I would guess air circulation would have an affect on cross contamination. After reading you post on the new fridge first I don't think you'll have a problem. Just keep them in separate chambers.