Author Topic: Geotrichum only Cam/Brie  (Read 6946 times)

StuartDunstan

Re: Geotrichum only Cam/Brie
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 10:59:30 PM »
but not so oozy that it's at risk of completely falling apart. It really holds together quite well.
Would you describe it as "very soft taffy"? I've had some Tallegio that looks like yours with that oozy but not flowing character.

Good job, Stuart. Have a cheese.

-Boofer-

Thanks Boofer. We don't have taffy here in Australia, so I'm not really sure how it compares. But that photo above was taken after cutting it and leaving it out for 10 minutes to warm up, and that's when it started to ooze out a little. Before that it was a pretty clean cut. Overall it was a consistency that I'm veyr happy with, as I love a good oozy cheese!

StuartDunstan

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 11:04:47 PM »
Stuart, noticed your cheeses sort collapsed after salting, I've found the best way from previous experience on cam making is to salt the cheese top and sides then place back in the mold, then after about 4 hours turn the cheese and salt the top and sides and place back in mold for another 4 hours, if it looks like they're still too soft turn and leave overnight, then try again eventually they will drain and firm up nicely then you can leave out to dry off. The first time I made a double cream Brie thought it was going to end up a pancake disaster but by placing back in the mold and draining more it turned out great.

Thanks Savu. Might have to give that a try. Normally I just use a brine, which always gives nice, consistent results. But I've decided to start surface salting, as brines seem to use up a lot of salt, and I never really make enough cheese to warrant keeping the brine for multiple uses.

Savu

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 05:02:53 AM »
My 2 litres brine is nearly 2 years old, after using I filter it back into a pot then bring to a boil add water and salt to bring it back to 2 litres saturated solution then when cool put into an old milk bottle and keep in the dark at the bottom of a cupboard. The day before I need it I boil again to be sure it's got no bugs then cool overnight if needed sooner in the fridge.

Stinky

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 08:50:33 PM »
but not so oozy that it's at risk of completely falling apart. It really holds together quite well.
Would you describe it as "very soft taffy"? I've had some Tallegio that looks like yours with that oozy but not flowing character.

Good job, Stuart. Have a cheese.

-Boofer-

I once had some triple cream Brie that had that exact texture. It held together, but stuck to things and kind of stretched when you tried to take it off and you had to wipe the counter.

Savu

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 05:43:26 AM »
Stuart, update to Kefir only Camembert, here it is at exactly 28 days just starting to ooze with the centre still firm, taste is like Camembert but definitely stronger cheesy flavour, remarkable creamy mouthfeel, was expecting it to be more like a lactic acid cheese with that sharp sour tang. We had a 2 thumbs up from the rest of the family only comment why didn't you make 2. For a first time using 2 litres p/h milk an excellent result, will make some more this weekend using raw milk if I can be bothered driving a distance to get it otherwise it will be store bought cream line (4%) and maybe might even try a double cream version adding extra cream.

StuartDunstan

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2015, 05:51:54 AM »
Wow, that looks great Savu! I acquired some kefir grains recently, so I'm definitely going to give David's recipes for cams and blues a try. Cheers!

lovinglife

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »
I am so happy to see people using his book to make cheese with kefir!  I am a total beginner, and I must confess I have never really eaten cambert or any of the oozy cheeses, please tell me what they taste like, how you use them (crackers, fruit, plain) and if it is an acquired taste!  LOL  I am making a bloomy rind cheese as we speak aged in half pint jam jars.  Seemed like an easy one for me to cut my teeth on but wow does it have a strong smell!  Does that go away and does it taste like that??  Since I bought his book and started reading it I have become obsesses with cheese making, plus I have dairy goats so I am getting 1 1/2 gallons of milk a day just with once a day milking.  I just couldn't deal with 3 gallons a day any longer.  I raised calves this year and my chickens love it but man do I hate to waste it!  I give some to my friends but I am still swimming in milk.  Almost time to dry them up so I want to make as much as I can before then.  Any insights on your favorite cheeses to make and eat will be much appreciated!!