Author Topic: Best way to heat 60 gallon cheese vat  (Read 12086 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Best way to heat 60 gallon cheese vat
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 12:13:03 PM »
Another option would be to use a tankless water heater such as this http://www.homedepot.ca/product/rheem-ecosense-tankless-water-heater/902393 

They come in electric or propane versions , use in a closed loop system with a small circulating pump.

Just buy one and plumb it in , simple

That was exactly my first thought but I figured I don't have the expertise to know if it's a good idea.  Could that have a PID wired in to control the circulating pump?

AncoEquipment

Re: Best way to heat 60 gallon cheese vat
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 05:26:36 PM »
We deal with this question on a regular basis as we offer jacketed/insulated Batch Pasteurizers.

Electric Heat: As someone mentioned in this thread already a circulation heater with an expansion tank in a closed loop will do the trick. Depending on how fast you want to heat and what temperature you want to obtain. To heat a 100 gallon vat with milk from 38F to 145F will require about a 45kw heater.

On Demand Water Heater: Another great option, it offers some flexibility via natural gas, LP or electric. Set it up in a closed loop with an expansion tank. Draw back is on demand water heaters cap out at 185F, so if your looking to get to that temperature it will cause some issues.

Webmaster: Removed link to sales website.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:15:14 PM by Webmaster »