Author Topic: OK, this is gonna sound a bit strange  (Read 816 times)

jmason

OK, this is gonna sound a bit strange
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:56:41 AM »
Do cheeses improve with breathing the way a wine does?  The reason that I ask is that I swear the caerphilly I cut into about 4 days ago has improved with each day since I cut it.  The flavor has become much more complex during that time and become "rounder".  It had been rubbed with coconut oil after 3 weeks of rind development and has been in a gallon bag in the regular fridge since cutting.  This forum is about the only place where anyone might give this observation serious consideration.

John

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: OK, this is gonna sound a bit strange
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 02:36:17 PM »
Yes, this has been my experience. When possible, I take the cheese out and cut it open a couple of days before I intend to use it. Of course, most of the time I just start eating it, knowing it is going to be even better the next day ... :)
-- Andy

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 03:58:58 PM »
Homemade cheese often has residual moisture and whey trapped inside the cheese. There may be ammonia and other gases that have accumulated, even if very minor. When you cut the cheese you allow all of that to escape. As the cheese dries out a bit it can concentrate the flavor and have a seemingly more complex character. This is especially true with cheeses that are aged in wax, vacuum bags or anything else that completely seals the rind. You can always cut the cheese and let it breathe for a day or 2 before eating.

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »
Chiming in that yes, it does. Particularly when the cheese has been sealed in a way where oxygen cannot get in and out of the cheese freely.