Author Topic: Grating cheese  (Read 727 times)

jmason

Grating cheese
« on: July 17, 2015, 10:10:18 AM »
So my recent experiences with my caerphilly and more so with my cacciota have inspired me to start thinking of making a pecorino type cheese.  From what I have seen of these cheeses they are a pretty straightforward make.  The only thing that has really been intimidating for me was the length of aging, but after seeing the level of flavor development in just a few weeks from my cacciota which was couple of small approx 1 lb each cheeses and the dry crumbly texture of my Caerphilly in only 6 weeks I am now viewing some type of pecorino as very doable.  I haven't given much thought yet to the make details, only to the feasibility of doing that style, or one of the pec styles.  Got a few more weeks of getting caught up on other projects before my next make so I have a little time to pontificate on the subject.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Grating cheese
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 02:27:25 PM »
It is hard to wrap one's mind around waiting 12 months, or 24 months, or ??? for one of these cheeses. For me, the "secret" is to keep some shorter-aging cheeses in the pipeline, making an occasional long-aging cheese in between. The shorter-aging cheeses provide the more immediate gratification and feedback, and keep me from even thinking about that long-aging cheese in the back of the cave -- though I do check on them once in a while. :) Currently my favorite short-aging cheeses are Lancashire, Caerphilly, and "Malembert" (my version of Mal's version of camembert :)).

My longest aging to date has been a parma style that I opened at 12 months; because I use it slowly, the last quarter may reach 24 months before I finish it -- it currently is at 17 months, and I still have nearly 3/4. I've got a Romano style in the cave, currently only at 5 months, a long way to go yet; if I can make a couple more sometime soon, then I should be able to leave at least one for 24-36 months before opening it. A long, long way off, so better not even to think about it -- just make the cheese, put it in the cave, and forget about it ... until suddenly, one day, I will realize, "hey! that cheese has been in there for two [three] years!"

Meanwhile, I have a couple of traditional cheddars and a couple of Cantals that are only two or three months old; based on my last cheddar, I probably won't open these before at least 9 months, but since I have two of each, it will be easier to leave at least one for maybe 18 months to see what happens.

Have patience, a Jedi cheese-maker must!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:33:29 PM by awakephd »
-- Andy

Stinky

Re: Grating cheese
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 11:55:09 PM »
Would you be using sheep's milk? That's what "pecorino" means... if not, there are things you can do to improve the pecorinoness and make it seem like it is sheep milk.