Author Topic: old moldy cheese  (Read 2664 times)

kkouril

old moldy cheese
« on: July 19, 2015, 12:54:48 AM »
About a year ago i started playing with making hard cheeses. I made a few and was waiting for them to age,  wiping with brine,  cleaning of mold etc as the directions told me to. Well life got in the way of cheese making and they got left to their own devices. A few months later i checked and they were green and moldy. But i couldn't seem to bring myself to throw them out. I finally got the guts to go look closely at them. I had them labeled and everything but at some point those labels walked off so i don't even know what is what except a parmesian.  They are now very green but the rind looks intact. No cracks or anything. Most are just green, the parm has more white on it. I'm so tempted to cut into them but don't know if it is safe. So my question is what is unsafe to try? What should i be on the lookout for? Is it worth trying them or should i may throw them out?

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: old moldy cheese
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 03:37:58 PM »
Hi, Welcome to the forum,
Cut the cheeses, cut a small slice, remove the rind and have a small taste :P
If you have an immediate urge to make it to the home Thorne, you might not want to indulge in anymore :o
If it tastes good, Enjoy ^-^
BTW, picture's and taste reports are required ;)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 02:26:19 AM »
Oooo , I've had some great olden moldies . . As H-K-J suggests. Brush them well - wipe them over - cut and give them a little taste test.  My cheddars get a great green covering but still smell a little like mushrooms.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 02:52:42 PM »
Check this one out  :o
That one got really green, it was alright I just didn't care for the lapse we used :P

Kern

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 10:24:47 PM »
I read the entire referenced post and surmised that you were to open this cheese at one year in July, 2015.  So, where are the pictures?  ;)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 12:13:53 AM »
Long story, short.
Opened at 6 months didn't care for the taste the lipas gave it.
Others liked it so gave it to them :P

kkouril21

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 02:03:25 PM »
okay, for some reason I couldn't log back into my account, so I had to start another one. I'll contact admin about that. Any way I got up the nerve and washed off the mold and cut it off with at least 1/4 inch of cheese. smelled like Parmesan. tasted a little bit and it tastes a little like parmesan and a little like asiago (although I don't know that taste as well). I only tried the one. got pictures of it after I wiped it off, forgot before, and after I cracked it open. I did notice some small holes with in the cheese. I don't know if that is something I should worry about, but there was no discoloration or anything in there!  Okay, now lets see if I can post some pics.

Hope this works!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 03:03:47 PM »
Looks good to me! I wouldn't be worried about those holes.

AC4U!
-- Andy

kkouril21

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 06:50:39 PM »
great thank you.
I guess what I am wondering now, is what I should be on the look out for that would be bad mold? Or straight to the trash?  What signs would mean VERY BAD!!  My mind always says mold is bad, so if it isn't than what is? more wetness?  Oozing would seem bad to me. any other things to be wary of?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 05:46:43 PM »
Oops, sorry that I missed your question until now.

There are some cheeses that are intended to get oozy due to mold -- e.g., bries and camemberts. I'm not sure if B. linens is a mold, but it too can generate ooziness. But I'd say, if you were getting oozy results with a dark/black mold (rather than the white of PC, cream color of geo, or red of linens), I'd be hesitant about it. Mostly, though, any mold of concern can simply be cut off. If the cheese underneath is an unpleasant flavor, I would discard. I don't know if there is any health risk at that point, but why bother if it doesn't taste good!
-- Andy

Stinky

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 06:13:27 PM »
Um... If mold is horribly disfiguring your cheese, changing the shape, and penetrating in, maybe you bin it? Otherwise, just keep brushing it back until it reaches desired aging point and cut before deciding.