Author Topic: Brin d'Amour is Fuzzy?  (Read 707 times)

El Duderino

Brin d'Amour is Fuzzy?
« on: July 23, 2015, 02:27:14 AM »
I've never made a brin d'amour (and my aged cheeses have been a bit suspect anyway) but I thought maybe I would try to crowdsource this one.  I used Karlin's recipe, cheese rested for 3 days before going to the ripening chamber, where the temperature has been at 51 and currently 84% humidity or so (and I'm using every trick I can to keep the humidity high).  I'm seeing some hairy mold, some darker mold, and some white mold.

This looks suspect to me and I'm not even really sure how to clean this (dab with vinegar?).  Thoughts?  ???

John@PC

Re: Brin d'Amour is Fuzzy?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 09:28:08 PM »
I did Karlin's brin d'amour a year or so ago and your's looks much better than mine.  Looks like you have some incursion there and the extra "goodies" on the rind make it more difficult to deal with.  I'm sure someone will come up with a good "solution".  Maybe a vinegar / salt solution spray and then some gentle patting?

Greetings and welcome (by the way :)).

El Duderino

Re: Brin d'Amour is Fuzzy?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 07:58:55 AM »
Thanks!  For anyone interested, I did wind up dabbing at it with a salt/vinegar solution on the darker mold patches - I had to leave town, so i figured an ounce of prevention . . . . There are still colonies of darker mold, but it seems to be getting outcompeted by the lighter mold and I see very little hairy mold.  The humidity has been a bit lower than preferred, but not too far off.  Seems to be progressing pretty well - looks and smells like cheese :)