Author Topic: Debi's Mini Thermoelectric "Radient" Fridge  (Read 2680 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Debi's Mini Thermoelectric "Radient" Fridge
« on: June 04, 2009, 07:03:53 PM »
Well I had to pick up some kitty food and litter for the 3 holy terrors in the house and I found this cute little fridge on the metal roll away clearence rack at WalMart. The box was trashed but there's just a little scratch on the back and it works great. I got it for only $47.

This is my new mini cheese cave. I ran it for a few days and it stayed at 49 degrees at the lowest setting and the humidity stayed about 85 to 93% using a small butter container of salt and water with a small chunk of cheese cloth hang in it. I added the Johnson Controller when I got home from work and it was perfect when I got home tonight.

I took the picture right after I'd washed all my cheeses and the door was opened a good while but it's still reading 56 degrees and 85% RH with 24 pounds of cheese in there. The little fridge is only 1.7 CI and sits on my microwave. There's two little fans in there that run all the time which really help to keep air moving and it only weights 20 pounds so it sit on my microwave. No freon either.

I have to cut some wooden shelves it only came with one and the other is a folded pizza box.

wharris

Re: Debi's Mini Thermoelectric "Radient" Fridge
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 07:16:08 PM »
looks nice!.  Much more clean than my old one.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 07:18:27 PM »
Thanks Wayne. I dream about your chese cave! Wish my house was big enough.

BTW I used the cheesecloth wick on this one too and it keeps the humidity right there!

jillyphish

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 12:34:58 AM »
Great find!  I'll have to keep an eye out... my mini cheese cave is going to run out of room soon - and I'm just beginning.  My partner (Cat's) kegerator is at risk of being invaded - she keeps it at 55 degrees too.  We don't drink beer too cold - especially good beer.

I'm thinking about a Johnson control... would love to see that on sale!

I have enjoyed your posts... thanks for sharing

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 04:17:02 AM »
Johnson has a digital controller now too. I think it's only a few dollars more. I had this one from my old kegerator that I had to get rid of when I bought this tiny little house.

Good beer doesn't need to be iced cold to drink it'll stand on it's own merits! Most people don't know that ice cold is to cover the bad tasting beers they buy!  ;D

Caise-bodach

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 03:52:21 AM »
LOL...bad beer??! In my book, anything that tastes of hops is bad
<<don't like the bitters
now give me a nice ale and we're talkin'!!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 03:17:30 AM »
I'm a big ale fan myself. My favorite is German Albier.