Author Topic: Wayne's Commercial Fridge Cheese Cave  (Read 12603 times)

wharris

Wayne's Commercial Fridge Cheese Cave
« on: May 08, 2009, 12:24:12 AM »
I take possession of this 46.5 cubic inch stainless steel beauty on Saturday.
It was a medication fridge used in a hospital.

Bought on Ebay.  There was a hospital in Indiana that was being sold off.

Herc

Re: Wayne's Commercial Fridge Cheese Cave
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 01:10:54 AM »
Great buy Wayne

Herc

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 10:40:03 AM »
That is nice, especially the dents in the doors, saves the stress of parkin a new car in the far corner of a parking lot to avoid shopping cart rash ;D.

Assume you mean 46.5 cubic feet, otherwise it would be very small ;D ;D.

If it was mine (if I had room), one side would be for white mold cheeses and the other for blues or is the wall between jus for rigidity and both sides are mixed by air flow? What are you going to put in your new fridge?

wharris

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 03:12:32 PM »
I'm not so sure those are dents.  I think they may be left over tape.  I am hoping. 

It is 46 cuft.  not cuin.  was so excited I missed that.

I believe that the interior of this refridgerator is a single compartment.  I do not believe that there is any seperation between the left and right doors.  I will know more in the morning when I pick it up.  I just rented a U-haul trailer.

I plan on using this to age all my natural rind and waxed cheeses.  I will not be allowing any mold to form in this fridge. This will strictly be for cave compatible cheeses. I got this size of a fridge mainly due to my percieved deal I got on it.  (and If it was not a deal, let me believe it.)

But more practically, I will be aging all of my bulk cheddars for a year.  That will put a lot of cheese in various stages of production. I also intend to put several cases of my personal 2007&2008 vintages in there.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:23:50 PM by Wayne Harris »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 09:59:55 PM »
Awsome fridge Wayne! Wish I had a house big enough for something like that! That's gonna be a great cave! Congrats.

wharris

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 09:55:32 PM »
I picked it up today.  460mile jaunt.

The whole hospital is up for sale.  There was so much Stainless Steel for sale in the cafeteria, it made my head swim.  I wish I had more room and more money.  Numerous 20 ft long Stainless steel tables, with deep sinks,  SS racks, SS fridges, SS everything.

The fridge itself is is a bit worse condition than I hoped.  So damn dirty and grimey. Sides are banged into a bit.  But the doors are solid and ding free. (just dirty)   Remind me never to eat at a hospital cafeteria.   So gross.

I will spend the day tommorrow cleaning and working on it. It does turn on. (thank god)

I will post pictures of this tomorrow.  I picked up a couple of other goodies that I will share tomorrow.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 11:59:05 AM »
Hi Wayne, good news!

FYI, before I moved a used side by side fridge via friends pickup, I asked at Lowe's and was told that "can transport on back, buy oil in motor will flow up into cooling coils, so before starting, ensure unit is vertical for a few hours first to allow oil to drain back".

At least I think that's correct. Good news on doors, side dents are just optics.

Bit off topic, but here in US we were at a Sonic drive in rest and back door was broken so we had to go through kitchen to toilet. After seeing the grease, boxes and mess in back, daughters decided not to eat there!

wharris

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 12:27:35 PM »
Good call on the oil. 
In reading the manual, they advise the same, or to just not tip it all all.

Here is the ongoing Ebay auction:

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 12:38:03 PM »
Thx for link, had a look, nothing there of interest for me, at 49 a little too early for the hospital bed ;D.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 06:41:20 PM »
We're not worthy, we're not worthy. Good buy Young Skywalker.

wharris

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 11:07:56 PM »
Some pics.
I made room for this in my garage.  (had to take the legs off to get it though the dang door.)  But all is well now..

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 07:09:27 AM »
You lucky SOB, that cleaned up nice.

chilipepper

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 09:27:56 PM »
THAT is purdy! :)  You've got a lot of elbow grease in there!  Does it hold temp?  Did it come with an adequate amount of racks?  Anyway, great find!

Ryan

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 09:58:38 PM »
Ryan what's with all the questions, can't you just be happy for the guy?  ;D

P.S. Did it come with an adequate amount of racks?  ;D

Cheese Head

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 10:36:15 PM »
Like night and day before and after!

You could hang a deer in one side and make cheese in the other, or if not many racks you could store a beer keg in one side . . .