Author Topic: Can you dissolve rennet in milk?  (Read 3243 times)

markromano

Can you dissolve rennet in milk?
« on: July 25, 2015, 11:28:30 PM »
Hi guys,

Trying to make some mozzarella. I don't want to go and buy a bottle of purified water. Can I just sub the water for the milk (that I  will be using for the cheese)?

Thanks,

Trayushman

IllinoisCheeseHead

Re: Can you dissolve rennet in milk?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 02:00:34 PM »
The amount of rennet compared to the milk used to dissolve would be so high that may cause the mixing milk to coagulate instantly.  I don't think you can do that.  Do you have bottled water?

Thanks

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »
Just boil some tap water and let it cool to room temp before you use it ^-^
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 03:24:39 PM »
You can also add a little bit of milk to the water to react against the chlorine. Just enough to make it a bit cloudy.  Chlorine will react with the protein of the milk and oxidize.  Once used up there should be nothing left.

Thanks

markromano

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 03:29:21 PM »
Thanks guys! Ended up schlepping over to 7-11 and picked up a bottle of purified water there....Still screwed up the mozz tho :/

John@PC

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 10:01:55 PM »
Thanks guys! Ended up schlepping over to 7-11 and picked up a bottle of purified water there....Still screwed up the mozz tho :/
Welcome to the "I screwed up my mozz" club Trayushman ;).  You're one of MANY members here.  Took me 5 tries to get a result I was hoping for.  Your time will come.

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 12:10:19 AM »
Welcome to the "I screwed up my mozz" club Trayushman ;).  You're one of MANY members here.  Took me 5 tries to get a result I was hoping for.  Your time will come.
This.
You can also add a little bit of milk to the water to react against the chlorine. Just enough to make it a bit cloudy.  Chlorine will react with the protein of the milk and oxidize.  Once used up there should be nothing left.

Thanks
This is what I do as well and it works great.