Author Topic: Draining Mats - Rubber Matting?  (Read 3101 times)

timnbama

Draining Mats - Rubber Matting?
« on: May 09, 2009, 02:48:55 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the non-adhesive non-slip rubber shelf lining material as a draining mat? It comes in several colors and textures and a piece 2' x 5' is about $3.00 at the local stores. I figure for that price I'll at least have to try it. I picked up a roll of it in off-white and the finer textured surface so we'll see.

Cheese Head

Re: Draining Mats - Rubber Matting?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 06:02:58 PM »
Tim, I looked at some normally rolled foam mat material here but decided against it as porous and thus harbour mold that I wouldn't be able to eradicate.

Not sure it's the same as your rubber matting.

timnbama

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 06:45:03 PM »
This is "griprite" non-slip, washable, shelfliner. It seems to be put out by "Kittrich". If nothing else I think that as long as it won't stick to the curd it could be used one time and then discarded if there was a problem with mold. It seems to be non-porous other than the weave.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 12:01:25 PM »
Good news should work and just stick in dishwasher every now and then, let us know results and picture please if you go for it!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 06:34:56 PM »
Just make sure if curds are actually touching it that's it food safe.

timnbama

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 02:21:08 AM »
Here's a pic of it and the label.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 02:45:57 AM »
I wouldn't use that for the above reasons. If there is a restaurant supply store near you then they will have plastic shelf liner sold by the foot. The stuff you have is more of a foam.

timnbama

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 03:10:22 AM »
Party pooper, no, just kidding, thanks for the input. Well it can go to my worm barn to sit bait cups and lids on. That's where I spend most of my off time, with 45 bins of 6 different types of worms raising them for the bait market I spend a lot of time digging in worm beds and counting out
worms into the little plastic cups with peat moss. I just finished a concrete minnow vat this weekend. I'll have to check to see if I can feed the whey to the worms without too much of an acidity problem. Now that's thinking like a recycler.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 06:42:13 AM »
Very creative. Yeah you just want to be absolutely safe about the materials you use in something that's going to be eaten.

If you need some I do have some professional cheesemaking mesh in stock. Just let me know how many feet you need and I'll get a price.