Author Topic: Camemblue  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Camemblue
« on: July 26, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »
...or Camblu, Blue Brie, Cambazola, call it what you like. I've been meaning to try one of these for a while and I've finally got around to it, starting yesterday. Details as follows:

Based on recipes by Gianaclis Caldwell and New England Cheesemaking. the main variation being the use of PR grown on a piece of bread from a commercial blue.

Ingredients:
•   4L Fleurieu Jersey milk. P = 3.3% F = 4.8%
•   1/5 tsp (rounded tad) of Flora Danica;
•   1.2ml calcium chloride dissolved in 20ml of water.
•   1.0 ml of 140 IMCU animal rennet in 20 ml of water.
•   PR culture rehydrated in 60 ml water, 1/12 tsp sugar and 1/12 tsp salt the day before using.
For later spraying.
•   1/16 tsp (pinch) PC rehydrated in 60 ml water, 1/12 tsp sugar and 1/12 tsp salt the day before using.
Warmed milk to 32C
Sprinkled on the Flora Danica, left for 10 min (got sidetracked) and stirred in for 1 min. Ripened for 25 min.
Stirred in CaCl2 and rested for 5 min.
Stirred in rennet for 2 min. Flocculation occurred at 14 ½ min. Using a 6x multiplier, coagulation time = 87 min.
Cut to 20 mm. Rested 5 min.
Stirred gently for 15 min. Rested 5 min.
Ladled curds into two 95mm lined moulds in layers. Added a few drops of PR culture between layers.
Allowed to drain for 25 hrs. Turned at 15min, 40min, 1hr, 2hrs, 3hrs, 6hrs, 10hrs and 20hrs.
Salted, ¼ tsp per cheese rubbed into the sides and another ¼ tsp per cheese rubbed into the top. After 4hrs,  flipped the cheeses and applied another ¼ tsp per cheese to what was the bottom. (pH of whey at this stage ~ 4.6)

That's the story so far. After allowing to dry for a couple of days I will drill holes in the cheeses, leave for a couple more days and then spray with PC solution.
- Andrew

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Camemblue
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 03:32:46 AM »
Hi Andrew,  Looking rather interesting.  I've just about finished both my latest batch of Malemberts and Silky Blue - I think this is a great recipe for combining the two.  I'll watching this with interest.

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 03:44:15 AM »
One of the best cheeses I made at home is Cambozola. It is divine experience when goat's milk used too.

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 08:07:22 AM »
Hi Ozzie, Gurkan. Thanks for the encouragement.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how these turn out. Bloomy blues are a bit of a favourite. (One of many.)
I've just pierced them and moved to the cheese fridge (~ 13C). I'll spray with PC in a couple of days time.
- Andrew

shaneb

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 08:53:17 AM »
Looking good Andrew. Have a cheese from me also. I hope you have more success with this than I've had. I used the dodgy wiki recipe which apparently would never work...  Did you pierce with an electric drill??  :D

Shane

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 10:02:42 AM »
Thanks for the cheese, Shane.
Yes, an electric drill with a long 1/8" bit. Seems to work OK and has the advantage that, because a little cheese is removed, the holes are less likely to close up.
- Andrew

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 11:12:44 PM »
Well see I would never have thought to use a drill :)

- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 08:07:41 AM »
Progress so far on this one is mixed. After 1 week from spraying there is still no sign of PC. There is, however, evidence of good growth of PR in the holes plus some small spots of mucor and a thin crust of Geo.
I resprayed it this morningand I will see how it goes over the next few days.
- Andrew

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 12:52:11 AM »
We have white mould!
- Andrew

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 10:46:23 PM »
These are looking very interesting...  look forward to the results

-- Mal

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 05:53:30 AM »
Well, they're definitely not blue brie's but they are cheese.
On opening this thread I find that I have not updated it as much as I thought I had.
After 3 weeks from the start, the PC was making very little progress so I decided it was experiment time. I scraped and waxed one of the cheeses and re-pierced both of them. The second was allowed to develop a natural rind. They were then placed in an aging box which was kept slightly open and turned every few days.
Being nearly 3 months from the start, I decided to open them. Both are quite creamy, particularly the one which was waxed. Neither showed much evidence of blue mould but the waxed cheese has a sharp blue character.
The natural rind cheese (that's the one that looks like something scraped off a rotten log) had a softer but more complex character but with some bite on the finish.
What I've got out of this:
1. Next time I try one of these I think I might try adding the PC to the milk at the start as per the Wiki:Cambazola recipe.
2. I think the waxing and then piercing has some possibilities as a process for making rindless blues.
- Andrew

shaneb

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 07:01:06 AM »
Hi Andrew,

Sorry to hear they didn't quite turn out as expected. They certainly look and sound interesting to me though, so have a cheese. I wouldn't recommend following the wiki recipe. I've done it a couple of times and the general consensus was that it was defective. The PC will always out compete the PR. The PC needs to be sprayed on once the PR has established is what I was told. Whether that's correct or not, I'll leave that up to you to decide.

All the best.

Shane

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 10:23:41 AM »
I wouldn't recommend following the wiki recipe. I've done it a couple of times and the general consensus was that it was defective.
Thanks for the heads up on that , Shane. I must admit that other recipes I've seen, including the ones I used, say to spray later for just the reason you mentioned. My concern was that I had little PC development, even after spraying twice and I don't know why. I don't know when I'll get around to trying again but it won't be this year. That gives me plenty of time to research and think about how best to go about it.
Thanks for the cheese, too.
- Andrew

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 02:48:58 AM »
I love the Natural Rind one.  My latest Silky Blue developed the same coloured rind and tastes amazing..  A cheese for yours ...

-- Mal

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 07:31:49 AM »
Thanks, Mal.
I actually think that I let the natural one go a bit long. I've eaten half of it and it's very ripe.
The other half and all of the waxed one are all vacuum bagged for ron.
- Andrew