Author Topic: variable results with SR3  (Read 1749 times)

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
variable results with SR3
« on: July 27, 2015, 11:29:47 PM »
Could anyone give me some suggestions on achieving a vibrant yellow result with SR3.  I am using it as a wash on a bloomy white soft cheese to achieve a mixed rind with a yellow background with some white mould.  My results seem to be variable going from ivory through to yellow.  What are the factors that control the growth of this beastie that I am not managing properly...?  Thanks.  NV.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: variable results with SR3
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:18:59 AM »
Temp and salt , and maybe even humidity  though I am still playing with which one does what better .

To the best of my knowledge geo likes warmer b linens likes a little colder  I am not even 50 % sure but I think b linens likes a little more salt than geo .  Stinky feet are rather sweaty  and salty   

I would play with those 2 things

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 04:20:47 AM »
ok.  I will start by lowering room temp.  Thanks.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 05:52:30 AM »
Use a precursor to increase rind pH. Like geotrichum. SR3 is slow to start. Also SR3 isn't very orange.  Try PLA for that.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 03:35:42 AM »
Thanks Francois.  The spec sheet for SR3 describes it as bright orange.  Maybe a mix of PLA and SR3?  What maturation temp do you suggest?  Thanks.  NV.

tarwin

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 02:55:28 PM »
Here is a pic of a munster I made about 2 months ago now . i used the generic recipe from this site  and sr3 only. It has achieved a pronounced orange. Matured at around 10c and lower mostly.

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 03:04:06 PM »
As far as I remember, Alp was saying that if a linens cheese gets more light it tends to be more yellow, if it gets less light it tends to be redder.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 06:48:28 AM »
13c is what I use for a maturation temp. That Muenster is awesome. I've never gotten SR3 to go that orange. I use OFR9 for bright orange but I don't think you have it in the states.