Author Topic: Weird question: can you stack cams?  (Read 1867 times)

amiriliano

Weird question: can you stack cams?
« on: July 28, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »
I doubt this has been asked before (but of course could be very wrong). I am producing large amounts of camemberts (actually closer to Pierre Roberts in that they are double creams).

After they bloom and I wrap them, is there any down side to stacking them in aging space (while continuing to turn them daily)?

I wouldn't stack more than 3-4 because the weight would start crushing the bottom one. But how about 2-3?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Weird question: can you stack cams?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:31:04 PM »
Well, I have done it, for a couple of weeks during the ripening, due to limited space in the fridge. When it was possible to spread them out, I did so. The resulting cams were quite good, but I don't know how much of that was dumb luck! These were only my second set of cams, first that I have wrapped in ripening paper. I am currently on my third set of cams, also wrapped in ripening paper, and also having spent some of their life stacked. Another couple of weeks should tell whether they have turned out okay or not ...
-- Andy

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:16:41 AM »
I would be worried that they would squish each other when softening.

amiriliano

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 01:48:51 AM »
Awake - keep me updated on how yours are doing. I should add that I move mine to 38F fridge after blooming. It's the only way I can avoid the ammonia catastrophe that will inevitably ensue at 55F. So they are relatively dry and hard in there and less prone to squishing.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 01:14:59 PM »
Will do. I also move mine to the cold fridge after they bloom - I keep them in individual ripening containers before that in the "cave." Once they have bloomed well, I wrap and move to the cold fridge.

I try to have them spread out in the cold fridge, but sometimes my wife thinks there ought to be other kinds of food stored in the fridge -- go figure. :) As best I recall, last time I had them spread out by the time they were getting squishy. But even if they were stacked, the paper helps to hold the shape, so I would not be too worried.

"One of these days" I plan to make a little 3-tier stand that will hold my usual three-cam make in the cold fridge in a "separated stack" -- all in a vertical column, but with airspace under and between. Something like this, where the dashed lines represent the shelves, the vertical lines represent a post on the side, and the solid line on the bottom is a base:

------
|
------
|
------
|____

That will let them take up the minimum space in the fridge, but still (hopefully) provide optimal ripening conditions -- actually, even better conditions than I would have with them spread out, since then the bottom of each cheese is "covered" by contact with the shelf. (Glass shelves in my fridge, not wire.)
-- Andy

amiriliano

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 02:04:59 PM »
Would something like this work?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91I1HEVpHDL._SL1500_.jpg

Cookie cooling rack

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 06:44:04 PM »
Yes, absolutely -- except that, since I only make 3 cams at a time, that would be a lot bigger than I need and bigger than I can "afford" in terms of fridge space. If I were making 6 cams at a time, it might be perfect!
-- Andy

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 01:49:07 AM »
It is amazing what you can build with leggo and popsicle sticks.  :)