Author Topic: Bitterness in fresh cheese  (Read 2966 times)

Mermaid

Bitterness in fresh cheese
« on: August 04, 2015, 04:25:43 PM »
I make a semi-lactic fresh cheese using pasteurized whole jersey milk.
I am aiming for a spreadable texture- and I get the right texture after draining in bags. However, after salting the moisture is drawn out further and the texture becomes more cakey/chalky like a chevre.
So when I salt a little bit less, the texture is right on (yay) but sometimes there is some bitterness in the curd. Can anyone tell me what this bitterness is, why ( and if!) it is related to salt, and what other people have tried to do about this issue.
Thanks for any ideas!!!

Sweet Leaves Farm

Re: Bitterness in fresh cheese
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:19:31 PM »
Are you using iodized salt?

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 06:32:53 PM »
How much rennet are you putting on, are you tracking acidity?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 03:10:16 PM »
I remember -- I think?? -- reading somewhere that too little salt can lead to bitterness, but I thought that was in aged cheese. Not helpful, I know, but I am curious to see what conclusions you come to.
-- Andy

Mermaid

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 12:32:23 AM »
Using non- iodized salt of course and acidity is on track - i have been draining at ph 4.4-4.45 and salting 6 hours later with no change in acidity .

Aged cheeses produce bitterness when fats go rancid - so if a high fat cheese is aged too long.
In my case the fresh lactic cheese is producing bitter flavors only a few days after salting. It's only slight and still good cheese - but as the Cheesemaker I feel it could always be better :)

The milk is jersey and the cows calved in May and July (two groups of 5 cows ) and one cow on late lactation .

Stinky

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 01:01:01 AM »
Using non- iodized salt of course and acidity is on track - i have been draining at ph 4.4-4.45 and salting 6 hours later with no change in acidity .

Aged cheeses produce bitterness when fats go rancid - so if a high fat cheese is aged too long.
In my case the fresh lactic cheese is producing bitter flavors only a few days after salting. It's only slight and still good cheese - but as the Cheesemaker I feel it could always be better :)

The milk is jersey and the cows calved in May and July (two groups of 5 cows ) and one cow on late lactation .

Isn't that way too acidic?

Sweet Leaves Farm

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »
Maybe the trapped whey is causing the off flavor? What size are you cutting the curds? If you cut the curds in 1" cubes and drain until it just stops dripping, then salt and package, does the whey leak out after a few days?

Mermaid

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 07:10:38 PM »
No it's not too acidic at least according to my recipe and my references .
I'm thinking its proteolytic - so maybe too much rennet or something ?

The curds aren't cut its a lactic cheese like a chèvre but cows milk

Stinky

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 10:02:45 PM »
Could you post your recipe?

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 03:53:25 PM »
Are you sure it's not a rancid flavor?
Cows' milk lactic cheeses are prone to becoming rancid - particularly Jersey milk cheeses due to the larger/more delicate fat globules.
Hot weather and lack of salt will accelerate the problem.
You're going to have a very hard time achieving a spreadable texture (when chilled) with whole cows' milk - there's simply too much saturated fat.  You might need to skim some of the cream.

Mermaid

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 02:11:08 AM »
Thank you bantams! Very helpful info! AC4U!