Author Topic: Slow-brewed Kefir  (Read 2906 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Slow-brewed Kefir
« on: August 17, 2015, 12:22:44 AM »
After some help from others on this forum, I've been enjoying some really good kefir. Lately, I've been "slow brewing" it: I put the kefir grains in a gallon-size glass jar, add whole milk, and let it warm up for two-three hours -- enough to warm up to maybe around 60° or so, but not really enough to reach room temperature. Then I put the jar in the fridge and wait a week, maybe stirring a time or two along the way. For the first 5-6 days, nothing much seems to happen ... but then it begins to thicken, and winds up quite thick indeed. But -- and here is the key for me -- though it is a bit tangy and very frothy and thick, it is not sharp or sour. Like drinking a milk shake -- utterly delicious! And of course, I work on drinking up that gallon while the next one is brewing. :)

-- Andy

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Slow-brewed Kefir
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 09:21:37 PM »
My grains arrive next week !

--Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 05:41:02 AM »
The only issue with fridge brewing is that theroticaly you will start to breed out the cultures that like a slightly warmer environment.

If really like the idea of fridge brewing , I would brew a cup or 2 on the counter over night each time you do the 1 gallon batch then after 24 hrs add that to the mix in the fridge , this should help give the warm loving guys a chance .

My wife did the exact opposite thing by accident , she was brewing on a seed mat at 85 to 90 degrees and bred out some of the cultures that like room temps , then the grains just kept shrinking each week . She ended up having to get new ones.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 07:05:56 PM »
A good comment, Gregore, and something I have wondered about. The fact that I do give it some time at room temperature may help ... at least, thus far, I continue to be happy with the results.
-- Andy

lovinglife

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 02:45:45 PM »
You could always divide your grains and use some just for cold brewing and have a small batch cooking on the counter.  You can use the stronger kefir for smoothies or baking or buttermilk.  Works good and then you know you will not change your grains to the point of no return.  And if you have a dog or other animals kefir is very good for them.  My dog just looks at me if I feed her and don't give her kefir.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 09:08:24 PM »
I don't know if you have seen this site.

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html and
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

Pretty cool.  And I'm getting my grains from here.  He has scientific information here plus some interesting observations.  It's a long read but well worth the time spent.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 11:44:22 PM »
WOW, by the time you finish those 2 links you will have a PHD in Kefir.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 02:50:35 AM »
The site look great , I will have to spent some time and read it all. It should all be an easy read for us cheese makers as it is really the same thing is some  ways except the long term affinage .  Though kefir can be strained through cheese cloth and aged out a few weeks at least,  as I have done it to about 2 weeks time .  It might be interesting to try it longer .

If I ever do you will here about on his forum for sure .