Author Topic: Newbie best option for my cheeses while I'm away?  (Read 1604 times)

delboy11

Newbie best option for my cheeses while I'm away?
« on: August 18, 2015, 04:20:03 AM »
Hi everyone, i have been reading this forum for a while now but this is my first post. I am new to cheese making and I am going to Thailand for two weeks so need to know what I should do with my cheeses. I have an Edam that is waxed and 4 weeks old, an emmental that is also 4 weeks old that is currently in its swelling stage and I will wax at 5 weeks the day before I leave. Also a Gouda that is three weeks old and waxed and lastly a farmstead that is 3weeks old and waxed. I have been turning them all daily and they are kept in a wine fridge cave at 10 degree, apart from the emmental that will join the others once waxed. Would it be ok for me to just leave them for the two weeks or should I find them a baby sitter so that they can be turned? I won't be able to transport the cave so they will have to go into a normal fridge if I do take them to a carer. It is currently winter here in New Zealand with temperatures between 6-17 degree so could leave them in a bedroom at a friends place if that is better. Appreciate any advise you can give me. Thanks

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Newbie best option for my cheeses while I'm away?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 01:00:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

If they are waxed, and more than three weeks old, I would not worry about babysitting the cheese. At most, I'd get someone to come in once and turn them. Once I got home, I would turn them.

Others who have more experience than I may need to "adjust" my answer!
-- Andy

delboy11

Re: Newbie best option for my cheeses while I'm away?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 07:43:03 PM »
Thanks, my husband thinks it's so funny that I'm so worried about my cheese. So much love and care has going into it I would hate to see things go wrong at this point. Looking forward to the day I finally get to taste it all.