Author Topic: First washed rind!  (Read 2203 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
First washed rind!
« on: August 21, 2015, 05:00:25 AM »
Trying a totally new class of cheese for me and feeling a bit apprehensive! I used 2 gallons of lovely high fat raw Jersey milk, and FD as a starter, with the Caldwell recipe for Pholia Farms washed rind. Make was at target with the exception of a long coagulation time due to using paste rennet. I am not yet consistent on measuring out the right amount on that. The other part that was not on target was due to my not having the correct form cleaned and ready to go. I had to switch up to a larger size form after finding the mass being too large for the prepared form. The final cheese weighed 3 pounds rather than 2 pounds which is what I would have expected!
I did not have the proper bacteria for the rind, so I am doing an experiment... I bought a "Red Hawk" washed rind cheese from Cowgirl Creamery, and scraped off some of the rind into a light brine, and stirred it around. I am using that to wash the rind. I also cut off another bit of the "Red Hawk" rind and put it in a small container in the box with my baby. I wonder how long it should take to see some rind development on my cheese?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 05:05:47 AM by scasnerkay »
Susan

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: First washed rind!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 04:24:05 PM »
Yea, Susan! :D   Washed rinds rule!  8)

Reading your make sheet...what is "Very Light Weight"? Perhaps more detail would be helpful to you when you check back and want to repeat this recipe? My "light weight" might be the weight of my press lever & ramrod = 11 lbs. I could add a 5 pound weight to the end of the lever to bring it up to 16 lbs. A "very light weight" could just be the 5 lb weight sitting on top of the mould. These are differences I want to know when I attempt a repeat down the road.

Now comes the good part...your affinage. Looking forward to seeing how that goes for you.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 06:07:45 PM »
For me, the red shows up gradually over time. See http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13985.0.html

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 11:27:00 PM »
Boofer, you are right! Very light weight in this case was 2.5#, moving up to 3.5# by the end!
Susan

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 09:28:55 PM »
You picked a good washed rind to start with Susan.  I've done this one a couple of times with whatever b. Linens I had on hand and it turned our very good.  You should see orange pretty soon, especially with your "Red Hawk" swooping down on it :).

Stinky

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 03:33:31 AM »
How's this doing?

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 06:44:53 PM »
It has been wrapped in wax paper and foil for about 1 week, and is at about 48 degrees. I peeked at it just to see, and there is certainly some blue stuff growing on it. Some sense of softening under the rind on the edges. Generally sort of cushiony feel in the center. I just do not have any idea what to expect. I think I will give it another week, then clean it up and try it. Any other thoughts to offer?
Susan