Author Topic: Greetings from the Inland Northwest!  (Read 1172 times)

Sully

Greetings from the Inland Northwest!
« on: August 25, 2015, 12:19:42 AM »
Hey Everyone -

I've been poking around here for a month or so, I guess.  I don't really know any other cheese makers so this seems as good a place a any to interact with like minded folks. 

3 Nubian Goats here on the farmstead are a source for a substantial amount of milk.  Far more than I'd drink, so cheese is about the best way to make use of the excess!  I've done a number of varieties so far.  Obviously they're a bit bastardized since many of the references call for other milk varieties other than raw goat milk.  I use it anyways to varying degrees of success.  My favorites so far have been a Manchego, and a Gruyere which I had to break open at 2 months to make more room in are small cheese cave! 
I have a pretty good variety in the Cheese cave at any given time.  I don't know if I have the patience for the longer aging types!

I mostly use recipes or references from books we have on hand here.  Chiefly, "Artisan Cheese Making at Home", and "Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking".  I am reading through them all the time. 

Anyways, I am rather interested in fermentation in general.  I've taken a liking to brewing beer and Kombucha.   I'd like to delve into meads, wine, and charcuterie as well.  Lots of fun projects!

Cheers,
Sully

Kern

Re: Greetings from the Inland Northwest!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:35:47 AM »
Sully, welcome to the Forum.  We drove through Ione last Fall.  We camped at Sullivan Lake the night before, crossed the Elizabeth Avenue bridge (my wife with the same name liked this!), and headed down SR 31 to SR 20 to Usk and then west over the mountains past 49 Degrees North ski area to Chewelaw.  You live in a beautiful part of Washington!   :) 

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »
Welcome, Sully! This is a great place to share and learn. Pictures of your cheeses are mandatory. :)
-- Andy

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 09:31:54 PM »
Anyways, I am rather interested in fermentation in general.  I've taken a liking to brewing beer and Kombucha.   I'd like to delve into meads, wine, and charcuterie as well.  Lots of fun projects!
Greetings to a certified fermentologist!  I had to google Kombucha and it sounds, well, interesting :).  Looking forward to hearing about your Nubian treks into the realm of fermentation ala fromage.  As AwakePHD said, pictures and make notes are very much appreciated.

Sully

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 05:16:02 PM »
Thanks for the greetings, folks!

Pretty terrible at forum competency.  I will have to learn how to post pictures and such. 

In the cheese cave - English Cheddar x 2 (2lb), Farmhouse Cheddar x 1 (4lb), Colby x 1 2lb, Parmesan, Alpine Tomme, Port Salut.

In the fermenters - Rye Saison x 2, One with WLP 585 Saison III, One with Wyeast 3711.  I am slightly Saison obsessed.  They go so well with so much food.  They're a lovely complement to all the Chevre we make.  I might have taken a particular liking to Smoked Paprika Chevre.

Cheers,
Sully