Author Topic: Triple play!  (Read 871 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Triple play!
« on: August 28, 2015, 12:52:15 AM »
Never could I match the work of Boofer in making 3 cheeses in one day. But today I have been running a bit of a 3 ring circus. Yesterday evening I made the curd for mozzarella, and for feta at the same time, using 2 pans, from the 2 gallons I brought home from my favorite Jersey. It was late before either had developed the correct acidity, so they went into the cold refrigerator to slow the process overnight.
I went back to the farm this morning, and this time she gave me 3.5 gallons. So I decided on a Tomme. Right temp, culture in, ready for rennet, oh no, the pH on the mozz curd is almost too low! So I was stretching mozz - the water from sterilizing was the right temp by this point, so I just used that with some salt thrown in. And every once in a while, I nudged the bowl on the Tomme to see if I had flocculation.
Thank goodness the pH on the feta curd is so much slower!
Midway report, the mozzarella is fine in the frig - I did not stretch it enough, but it should taste good.
Tomme is in the mid size tomme form, and there is just too much curd - it is making a muffin top over the top of the form.
The feta made with FD starter, is thankfully still poking along on the counter.
I think I find this process more meditative one at a time!
Susan

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Triple play!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 04:39:09 AM »
Almost bedtime.... The mozzarella was really tasty in caprese salad; though not as tender as I would have liked, the flavor was really good.
The tomme is in the brine. I measured the milk going into the pot at just over 3.5 gallons. It seemed like the whey coming off when I cut the curd was a bit high in fat, but apparently the solids remain high in her milk. The cheese weighed just over 5.5#.
The feta is still on the counter and still not low enough in pH. So it can wait for salting in the morning.
This was a fun cheesy day, but as I said there is more time for the "Zen of Cheesemaking" when I only have one going at a time.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:45:53 PM by scasnerkay »
Susan

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 04:20:16 PM »
I've made three in one weekend, but never three in a day -- and I agree, it can get overwhelming!

5.5 lbs of cheese from 3.5 gallons? Holy cow!

:)
-- Andy

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 04:34:50 PM »
Ah, Susan, what a great juggling act! Kind of a play-by-play...touch & go. :)

Sounds like your favorite Jersey is doing right by you. I'm anxious to see how your Tomme progresses.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.