Author Topic: Do I need to add any culture  (Read 3128 times)

David

Do I need to add any culture
« on: August 28, 2015, 08:52:00 AM »
This might be a dopey question but I am quite new to this cheese making ::)

If I am using fresh, raw sheep milk, do I need to add any cultures at all or will it be ok without?

Thanks, David

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Do I need to add any culture
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 04:26:25 PM »
David, welcome to the forum! This is a great place to learn and to share.

Certainly the raw milk will have its own flora in it, and those flora will include the desirable bacteria that is used to make cheese. The problem is that you can't be sure that the desirable bacteria will be the ones that dominate, so you may or may not get a cheese that tastes good. Thus, even for raw milk, you should add culture(s) -- this will not eliminate all of the other flora in the raw milk, and that is good, as they will add depth to the flavor -- but it will ensure that the desired bacteria dominate.
-- Andy

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 07:18:16 PM »
There's also not really any downside to it. You can experiment based on acidity and what ends up happening, and adjust from there. You may well find you have to use less culture than you would with bad-quality milk. But it'll be worth it in the end.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
Because you have natural bacteria, you do NOT want to use a full dosage of cultures. Cut the dose in 1/2 to start with. Otherwise you will have too many bacteria and will produce too much acid.

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 07:41:30 PM »
Because you have natural bacteria, you do NOT want to use a full dosage of cultures. Cut the dose in 1/2 to start with. Otherwise you will have too many bacteria and will produce too much acid.

Good point. My comment could be misunderstood. There's not much downside to adding some. Just as long as it's reasonable. A pH meter is going to be most helpful in this case, for figuring out how much to do.

David

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 12:02:17 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies. Your answers lead to another problem for me though!! Although I don't have a ph meter yet, the recipes don't seem to have any ph targets so it would be meaningless to buy one until I understand what is needed.

Thanks, David
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 02:31:51 PM by David »

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 03:18:05 PM »
What recipes are you using?

David

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 03:47:49 PM »
Here is an example of the recipes that I have found

http://www.cheesemaking.com/Hispanico.html

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 02:53:59 PM »
Here is an example of the recipes that I have found

http://www.cheesemaking.com/Hispanico.html
I have followed that recipe, David, and it produces a very nice cheese.

It's very unusual for someone to have access to raw sheep milk on the forum.  Following that recipe will give you a true Manchego. Before Jim Wallace clarified the naming, I was calling my cow milk-based cheese, Manchego. Now I follow his guidance and call my cheese Hispanico;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 04:03:16 PM »
I call mine Manchego de Vaca

David

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 06:50:44 AM »
Thank you Boofer, Yes I am very fortunate with the milk. I found a farm that supplies commercial cheese makers with sheep milk and they are happy to sell me small quantities. It is around a 2 hour drive but worth it I think.