Author Topic: Aging cheddar ?  (Read 1381 times)

qdog1955

Aging cheddar ?
« on: August 29, 2015, 10:21:47 AM »
 Does anyone know the time frame for aging various cheddar's-------mild------medium----sharp------extra sharp?
Just opened a 2 month old cheddar, expecting the cheese to be in the mild to medium range and it seemed to be closer to a sharp ( excellent cheese ) This cheese was vac bagged and caved at about 54 degrees.
 Any one done any experiments with time frame?
Qdog

Stinky

Re: Aging cheddar ?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
From what I've heard, cheddars tend to get sharp around 6 months. What cultures did you use?

qdog1955

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 07:37:15 PM »
All my cheddars are Caldwell recipe---using MA 4000.
Qdog

Spoons

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 03:52:09 PM »
From my own experience: Vac sealed, 11C, LH added as an adjunct will give a medium taste after 8 months, not much of a difference after 11 months. I also tried ST (TA61) as an adjunct and it gave it a bit more of a flavorful profile, but not a typical cheddar taste though.

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 04:53:15 PM »
But then again when I adjuncted DG, it seemed like it tasted like mild cheddar at three weeks, and while not sharp, pretty strong after having been in the refrigerator for another month and a half.

qdog1955

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 08:16:55 PM »
This was a raw milk make----so they say  min. aging of 2 months-----I like all stages of cheddar, but now I have to wonder how I can get a mild or medium cheddar if I already have a sharp at just 2 months. On top of that, I have 4 other cheddars at various ages----so I guess I will have to get the cheese trier out and see what stage those are at.
Qdog