Author Topic: My first Swiss Cheese (that made it out the press)  (Read 5776 times)

Revilo

My first Swiss Cheese (that made it out the press)
« on: August 30, 2015, 09:30:19 AM »
I've tried Asiago a couple of times but the curds always got stuck in the cheesecloth when pressing :'( I decided to try another hard (ish) cheese and am trying a Mutschli recipe based on Alpkäserei's recipe that Stinky recommended: (http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10178.msg75470.html#msg75470)

Here's what I did:

• Heated 8L raw milk to 35°C
  • Added 1/2 tsp TE (not quite sure what type) and waited 5 min
  • Added Rennet and waited 60 min (wasn't quite set after the 40 min - maybe the rennet)
  • Cut into 1x1cm columns and waited 5 min before stirring for another 5 min
  • Whisked the curds for 10 min to coffee bean size
  • Stirred for another 20 min
  • Slowly heated from the then 34°C to 38°C over 30 min
  • Filled into the hoop
  • Pressed with 2.5kg-15min, 5kg-30min, 7.5kg-1hr, 10kg-4hrs
  • Left in form overnight without weights
  • Brined the next morning for 6 hours (flipped over half way)

I ordered some Plyban cheesecloths but they seem to be stuck in customs and I just pressed the curds in the mold. It seems to have turned out alright :D
The image is of the cheese after brining. I am thinking of washing the rind now with a red wine (or port-because that's all i can find at the moment)

Stinky

Re: My first Swiss Cheese (that made it out the press)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 01:37:24 PM »
If you don't have wine, I'd stick with plain brine until you do. Not sure about what port would do.

Have you tried dipping the cheesecloth into the whey before pressing? That gets them as acidic and less likely to stick.

Revilo

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 04:32:00 PM »
I tried soaking the cloth in whey beforehand but it just seemed to make it worse. I still vacuum packed it, hoping it'll still be edible in some way.

I managed to get some red wine so will make the mix you suggested: 300ml water, 60ml red wine and 40g salt.
Will wipe one side of the cheese everyday with cosmetic pads  ^-^

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 04:51:23 PM »
A brush really works better... that way you're able to get the layer of schmier really worked around. It's also the way the Swiss do it.

But you can try this on this cheese, and try the other on a different cheese, and see which you prefer. It seems to work for Boof.

Either way, looking forward to seeing what happens.

Revilo

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 09:57:19 AM »
In the end I got a brush, because bits of cotton kept getting pulled off by the sticking out bits from the pressing. The brush has been working well so far. I got some of the black cat's hair moulds on the second day, but they got rubbed off.

Not quite sure how long I should keep washing it for. I have enough mix for 2-3 more washes, then I might let it dry out for a few days and then vacuum pack it and let ripen for a month or 2.

The picture is after washing for about 12 days

Stinky

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 05:08:28 PM »
Reuse the same wash. Just dip a little bit out, don't get too much on there, brushy brushy, and put it back in the fridge.

Revilo

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 03:39:06 PM »
How long would you suggest washing it for still?
It's smelling a lot like wine with some kind of cheese smell that I can't really make out yet... but it's not bad  ^-^

Thanks for all the help by the way. Have a cheese  :D

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 04:11:20 PM »
Thanks for the cheese.

I generally follow Alp's pattern of every day for two weeks, then start doing it a few times a week, and then twice a week, and then once a week, and then once every few weeks if necessary.

Revilo

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 09:59:45 AM »
Just an update on the cheese... (been ripening for about 40 days now). Might keep it going another month or so.
It has become really slimy and kind of sinks into the rack that it is resting on. It's also developed quite a smell which I can't really tell if it's good or bad...  :P

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 02:35:22 PM »
At 40 days or so it should be a little more dry

I would let the surface dry  by leavening it out from the cave a little bit each day or lowering the humidity in the cave a little or patting it dry with paper towels .

You could do all of the above

From hear on in only wash if you get mold issues and or cracking

If you get cracking build up a really good thick smear and brush it over into the crack its will then dry and seal it.

I found a mini sized brush just like alps larger round washing brush at  a shoe repair store , it is the brush used for putting on shoe polish and for Buffing it off.

It worked fantastic for building a really good smear

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 04:06:55 PM »
Hate to be a killjoy but that does NOT look good.  I would toss that and try again.  None of my swiss' looked like that.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 09:46:42 PM »
Don't toss it. First try letting it dry off, if that doesn't work, then try cutting into it a little bit and seeing what it tastes like.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 03:34:04 AM »
 I agree do not toss it .  So many things can cause a cheese to look a little off  to us on the forum including  something as small lighting when the picture is taken .

A cheap brush could leave a little dye on the cheese , a  dark mold could have been rubbed into the smear and colored it , I am sure there are many other potential causes .

The worst case is that the rind does not taste very good

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 04:47:31 PM »
I got some of the black cat's hair moulds on the second day, but they got rubbed off.

This could quite possibly be black mucor mold.  I believe the one described as "black cat hair" is the most dangerous.  I suggest you message one of the pros about this as it could well be a serious health concern.  I could be totally wrong on this but I wouldn't want to bet someones health on it and there are plenty of experts on here to consult with.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 05:01:35 AM »
I do not think that the black cats hair mold is bad for you I think it just adds off flavor if left to get out of control.

Had some on one of my tommes once when I went away for a week. Just rubbed it flat and it died off.

If you get this dried off on the surface it should start to look a lot better in about 3 weeks or so .