Author Topic: My first Swiss Cheese (that made it out the press)  (Read 5842 times)

Stinky

Re: My first Swiss Cheese (that made it out the press)
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 01:58:35 PM »
I got some of the black cat's hair moulds on the second day, but they got rubbed off.

This could quite possibly be black mucor mold.  I believe the one described as "black cat hair" is the most dangerous.  I suggest you message one of the pros about this as it could well be a serious health concern.  I could be totally wrong on this but I wouldn't want to bet someones health on it and there are plenty of experts on here to consult with.

This is true, but generally I don't think it's a huge problem on cheese rinds? You'll want to probably cut off the rind, but you'd do that anyway. And they didn't take over so you should be fine. Were they all black or white with black tips?

Revilo

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 10:37:07 AM »
Thanks for all the replies  :D

After the first few days I had a small tuft of all black 'cat hairs' on it, so it is possible that some of the mould is still present. I found a french website that has lots of info on cheese defects (http://www.accident-fromagerie.fr/spip.php?article6). Sadly I can't speak much french, but it didn't look too much like the pictures displayed under 'Mucor'.

It also has a somewhat blue cheese smell, which may also be possible because I have had blues in the cheese cave.

I will let it dry out now and hopefully be able to cut off the rind when it gets to that point

Revilo

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 10:52:55 AM »
I've been away for the last few days, but left the lid of the plastic box slightly open to try and dry it out slowly. I think it dried out too quickly though and it now has a crack on the surface. It doesn't smell too appealing either really  :-[
Any tips? Was thinking of cutting off all the rind and hoping that the remaining cheese is somehow edible... this might be a lost cause though  ;D

Stinky

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 02:48:54 PM »
How do you feel about it? Describe the rind. How does it look, feel and smell?

You can't continue to age it like it is if you cut off the rind. From brining onwards, you've prepared this cheese to have a good outer rind that can withstand other organisms. You could cut off the rind and wax it.

Oh, just realized I said cut off the rind. Sorry about that. I meant when you cut the rest of it, just trim off the rind bits.

If you think you could keep aging as is, rub some lard, or butter into the crack. If you don't, you could try trying it. Insert a peeler into the cheese maybe halfway, twist, try the center bit, put the rest in and seal with lard or butter. Then judge if you should wait or cut it now. How long has it been aging?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 11:46:27 PM »
I agree with stinky the crack means you have to take action. He is right taste the core now , if it is okay to eat ( has some flavor ) , cut it in half through the crack and vacuum seal the other half to age out longer  or wax  and age .

If it needs more aging you could do any of the above  but also as a whole cheese it is large enough to wrap and lard

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 06:34:42 PM »
I think the title of this post is misleading. I agree with Al...this isn't a Swiss cheese in the truest sense. It's a washed rind alpine.

Several observations:
  • The tub housing the cheese contains a reservoir of liquid. This could be a source of contamination. Should be dry.
  • Unless it's stainless steel, cheese shouldn't rest on steel.
  • The cheese appears not just moist...but WET. The edge of the rind appears crumbly. Should be wiped but not soaked.
Meine zwei Pfennigs. ;)

Since it has dried out significantly, I would vacuum bag it. That will pull the rind tighter, possibly closing that gap.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Revilo

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 04:13:49 PM »
Thanks again everyone. Have a cheese  :D
I took your advice and tasted the cheese by coring a bit out. It was mildly funky (if that makes sense). I find it hard to judge really; I guess it was good if it's meant to taste like that and vice versa  :-\ a bit of placebo effect or something. I did notice the growth of PR on the sticking out bits from the press (possibly a good sign if it's the source of the colour)
I then buttered in the cracks and vacuum sealed it. It's been aging a total 50 days now...

Several observations:
  • The tub housing the cheese contains a reservoir of liquid. This could be a source of contamination. Should be dry.
  • Unless it's stainless steel, cheese shouldn't rest on steel.
  • The cheese appears not just moist...but WET. The edge of the rind appears crumbly. Should be wiped but not soaked.

- You're right. I was trying to keep the humidity up, but I suppose I should be using clean water for that.
- It is stainless steel. I used to have galvanized steel which was rubbish. Stainless steel is so much nicer (worth the extra cost imo)
- I think I need to improve the aging container. The top was very wet and slimy whereas the area where the crack appeared was really dry

Thanks Boofer, and I wouldn't call it a Swiss either  ;D

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 11:29:39 PM »
For next time around .... You only need to keep the lid on or even slightly ajar to keep the humidity up . A slight fog on the lid surface shows good humidity.

Stinky

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 01:27:51 AM »
Yeah, if the surface is looking wet take the water out. Rule of thumb.