Author Topic: how to make aged or hard mozzarella for pizza  (Read 12063 times)

NCBaker

how to make aged or hard mozzarella for pizza
« on: September 02, 2015, 11:18:35 AM »
Hello -

been trying to find a process or guide on how to turn fresh mozzarella into harder cheese for use on pizza.  I know fresh is ideal and I plan on using it as well but wanted to find a way to turn fresh into more solid cheese. 

I see that stores sell mozzarella 1 lb blocks of what looks like aged cheese.   

If anyone can suggest a process or point me to a recipe that would be great.

Thanks
NCBaker

Sailor Con Queso

Re: how to make aged or hard mozzarella for pizza
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 07:25:44 PM »
Mozz is fresh, not aged. If you keep stretching Mozz it will lose moisture and become firmer. Provolone is a pressed, aged Mozz. Most commercial pizza cheeses are a blend of the 2.

NCBaker

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 10:39:32 PM »
Thanks Sailor Con Queso.

Will look into Provolone recipe.  Is what I see at the grocery store called "Mozzarella" is really Provolone?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 01:07:06 PM »
No... Mozz & Provolone are not the same thing. Mozz is fresh, Provolone is pressed & aged. But all Mozz is not the same. Some Mozz is soft and moist - good for Tomato salads. And some Mozz is drier and firmer. Depends on how you make it and you stretch it. For example, if you want a drier Mozz, cut the curds small so that it will expell more whey.

NCBaker

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 06:29:13 PM »
Thanks for clarifying.

May I ask if you can recommend a good book for home cheese making. Looked on amazon and it seems to be hit and miss. 

Thank you.

Kern

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 12:28:53 AM »
I think that the consensus for the "must have" book is Caldwell's Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking.  I've probably read my copy at least four times and each time I learn something new. 

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 02:59:30 PM »
I second that, and add to ask for more reading material once you think you've gotten everything in that one.

NCBaker

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 05:38:46 PM »
No... Mozz & Provolone are not the same thing. Mozz is fresh, Provolone is pressed & aged. But all Mozz is not the same. Some Mozz is soft and moist - good for Tomato salads. And some Mozz is drier and firmer. Depends on how you make it and you stretch it. For example, if you want a drier Mozz, cut the curds small so that it will expell more whey.

Have not tried this yet.  But my plan is to make 1 or 2 lb or Mozzarella for pizza use and store it so it is available when I decide to make pizza.

So with smaller size curds and may be more stretch I can make pizza type mozz.  Can I then vacuum seal and store it at 35-45 F ?  Should I store it at 55F? For how long?

Thanks in advance.
NCBaker

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 07:30:40 PM »
Mozz is a fresh cheese and must be stored at 41F or below. You can freeze it and thaw it out slowly in your refrigerator.