Author Topic: Christmas Blue  (Read 1049 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Christmas Blue
« on: September 06, 2015, 12:25:11 AM »
Hi All,
Well, having done this twice then thrice will hopefully be the same.  Here is the last make - the curd ball photos I didn't take again but happy to explain further if needed.
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,14026.0.html

I have attached the Make Control sheet so feel free to grab a copy and also the progress sheet as it all unfolded. One thing that is missing from all the books is a description of the curd ball as it goes though the squeezing phase.

The curd ball starts off very soft and jelly-like.  Every time you empty the whey – re-tie and tighten the knot.  In the morning the ball should be firm but not too dry and when you mill the curds there should be a slight oozing or weeping  of whey between the fingers as you mill.  The Blue needs about 2% salt for optimal growth – so , unwrap the ball and weigh it before milling to get the correct amount of Salt.

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Christmas Blue
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 12:41:06 AM »
There is a tendency to try and remove the whey too fast but this I feel is something to be avoided.  The terminal pH of this is around 4.7 and the whey still contains lactose that the culture need so removing the whey too fast will prevent you getting to that nice spot.  Also, if you try to remove it too fast you will end up capturing pockets of whey I the curd ball and might go sour.  This method uses two cultures that I like in soft cheeses being Flora Danica and the sacco MO 036R.  They both have CO2 producing culture and excellent fat processing capability 

1. Curd ball in the morning - from the last build - I just rested a clean pot top to aid the whey removal.
2. Break open the curd ball to make sure there are no pockets of whey. - It's not the end of the world if there are, just make sure you drain them off before milling.
3. It looks a lot but 40 Gms of salt was a bit over 2% of the 1.994 kG of curds.  This was a good return from 8 liters of milk and 1.2 liters of cream (couldn't waste it :) )
4. All nicely milled - the curds are very soft, even at this stage - so don't squeeze them too much as you mill them.
5. Filled the usual amount. 1 big and one small.  I like this as I can enjoy the small one a little early as the large one continues to ripen ::)
6. Ready for flipping.  I'll flip these 2-3 times a day for about 4 days before putting them in their wee hooose.

should be ready for Christmas :)

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !