Author Topic: pH meter technicalities  (Read 1490 times)

David

pH meter technicalities
« on: September 11, 2015, 03:52:44 PM »
I have an Extech pH110. Please could anyone tell me what the reference junctions does, what is that glass 'window' next to it and why and when do I need to refill it?
Sorry if these are dopey questions but the manual seems a bit lacking in informations.

Thanks, David

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: pH meter technicalities
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 12:18:11 AM »
You refill when the liquid is mostly gone, you should have received a little bag with a wrench and some refill solution , be carful not to strip the little nut as you take it out.

As far as I know the junction completes the circuit and is what what becomes clogged with milk fats or solids and needs cleaning once in a a while . 

I read from linuxboy that contact cleaner solutions that eat proteins work or you can just order the correct stuff  for cleaning the probe .

David

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 07:06:21 AM »
Thank you Gregore.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 02:34:04 PM »
Also I should add that when I was using my Extech 110 I would check my ph too often and before my make was finished the junction would clog and I would start getting weird readings .

If you have this problem with yours make sure to rinse in fresh water in between each sampling of ph  and clean in solution after every use before putting it away .

The Extech is the best of the cheaper meters  but I think  designed in reliability and  quality control suffers a little so they can reach that price point.

The next step up is the  $200 to $300 plus range ,   So they have done a good job for the price.

Also if you have to much wandering of ph readings then you have issues with the probe and you should call them and get a new one sent out , I seem to recall that after 30 days the warranty kicks in and from my reading on the forums here they are great at honoring it .

David

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 07:51:32 AM »
Thanks again Gregore, I will persevere  :)