Author Topic: Dill seed cheese experiment  (Read 1172 times)

Mermaid

Dill seed cheese experiment
« on: September 13, 2015, 07:14:40 PM »
I had dill seeds and lots of extra milk in February this year. Inspired by posts on here (Danbo using cumin seeds) and recipes like Caldwell's seeded cheese, I decided to try dill seed since I like the flavor.
I chose to add the dill seeds to an appenzeller make.
I boiled the seeds and added the seeds and the cook water to the curds after draining the whey.

I am pleased with how the cheese looks. Washing 2x a week with white wine brine kept blue mold to a minimum and created a lovely reddish color on the rind. Interestingly, the rind of the dill seeded cheeses was prettier than those without the seeds.

I was concerned about the dill seeds creating openings for blue mold entry- and that did happen! Although not nearly to the extent I had feared. The knit was good and the molds didn't travel too far into the cheese.

The cheese itself could have used more salt/flavor. However this cheese is fantastic melted on a piece of homemade bread! The flavor of the dill seeds is delicious if you like dill seeds. :) So I loved the flavor but a friend of mine did not care for it. It reminded me very much of a caraway rye flavor mixed with dill flavor.

Jeepyj

Re: Dill seed cheese experiment
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 11:14:07 PM »
Looks good! I want some.

Stinky

Re: Dill seed cheese experiment
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 11:20:29 PM »
The paste and rind look awesome! +C