Author Topic: Fluctuating temperatures (purposely)  (Read 4694 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Fluctuating temperatures (purposely)
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 01:11:07 PM »
Amiriliano. Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. The Federal Food Code states that 41F or below is refrigeration temperature. This is not generally accepted practice for aging any cheese PROPERLY. IMHO you are trying to cut corners. As I said, Listeria survives quite well at refrigeration temperatures.

amiriliano

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 05:01:07 PM »
Thanks George. I have been reading a lot about it and having a background in science and bio-medical research has been very helpful. I am definitely going to heed Sailor's advice. From what I've been reading, there are two major factors that can promote listeria contamination:

1) Use of unpasteurized milk
2) pH

Although the FDA doesn't recognize the milk I will be using as pasteurized, it actually is. It is pasteurized and transported at the right temperature from the purchase point to the manufacturing area Used within 30 minutes of purchase). The pasteurization significantly decreases the risk of Listeria contamination, especially since I am not using any milk tubing to or any other transport. The pH I plan to control as best I can.

But I'm definitely taking Sailor's advice as well and will see what I can do to increase aging temp.

I have found this book to be immensely helpful and thorough:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Farmstead-Cheese-Complete-Selling/dp/1931498776/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442941176&sr=8-1&keywords=american+farmstead+cheese

amiriliano

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 05:22:58 PM »
@sailor: do you have a reference to something I can read regarding Listeria promotion in colder temps? I haven't seen that so far in anything I've read. I trust your opinion as you actually do this day in and out but would love to be able to read it.

Thank you for helping me,

Emi

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
Amirilano,

Are you wanting to do this for personal use, within a restaurant environment, or commercially? My advice to you is different depending on the scenario.

Cold temps don't "promote" Listeria, but they don't discourage it either. There are several strains of bacteria that we use in cheese making that produce natural antibiotics (bacteriocins) at normal cave temps or room temp. These natural antibiotics can significantly retard or prevent Listeria growth (they also retard Clostridium and prevent late blowing).

Several studies conducted at the U of Wisconsin show that room temperature cheese is actually safer than refrigerated cheese because of these natural antibiotics. As such, Wisconsin has declared most hard, and semi-hard cheeses made from pasteurized milk to be legally "shelf stable" and do not require refrigeration at all. I am currently in discussions with tech people at the FDA to recognize the shelf stable non-refrigeration concept nationwide. There are hundreds of online references, but here is a place to start:

Listeria, Cold Temps, and Natural antibiotics

FYI, my early background was in clinical microbiology.