Author Topic: Derbyshire  (Read 1892 times)

DavidStaffs

Derbyshire
« on: September 18, 2015, 11:33:01 AM »
This is my first post after stalking the forum for almost 2 months and 15 cheese makes...

My gran's ashes are sprinkled between two English counties (Staffordshire and Derbyshire) at a wonderful spot known as Dovedale by the River Dove. I remember the place well as a visiting 15-year-old, and have been back numerous times. One time I drove from Malvern past it as a major snow storm threatened and the last time I travelled from Lincolnshire via train to Newcastle-under-Lyme and saw a covering of white snow across the midlands... My fantasy trilogy (I'm a writer by day) is based on the nearby town of Ilam near Dovedale... and I go there whenever I get the opportunity. So I'm please with my Dovedale Cheese... a hard Staffordshire (but blue  / brine dipped) and it is doing well. It's got another three weeks to age before it hits the 2 month minimum, but it needs a brush and a vinegar-brine wash. Before and after photos...

The make was as per the Staffordshire, (Jeff Hamm's make) (local Australian Barossa Valley non-homogenized jersey milk with MM100) with the exception of the adding of blue PC to the make, and punctured holes, and I brined it rather than rubbing salt over it.  So it might be a tiny bit unique?  It's got a few more weeks to go, but it smells blue-divine.  I may well cut a quarter...but can I wax a hard blue? Not sure...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:10:53 PM by DavidStaffs »

DavidStaffs

Re: Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 12:03:35 PM »
Fresh from the mould at 1.9KG

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 06:14:10 PM »
A cheese to you for a wonderful looking Blue Staffordshire.  It looks to be coming along very nicely.  The blue mould needs air to grow properly, so don't wax it.  I would just cut into it and see how it is.  If it needs more time, make another! :)  I would think it will be about right though.

- Jeff

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 07:39:09 PM »
What is "blue PC"?

DavidStaffs

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 12:39:40 AM »
Blue PC ... my bad, it's not blue penicillin, I should have said I used a dash (1/8th tsp) Penicillin roqueforti started in a 1/2 cup of warmed milk.  I used 10L jersey (*3.3g protein and 4.8 g of fat / 100 ml) and 100ml jersey cream.  Reading the recipe again, I see it says age 2-4 weeks, so I suppose at 6 weeks of age it is ready to be consumed.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 08:11:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum, David. There are plenty of Aussies here as you may have noticed but its nice to see a fellow Croweater.
The Dovedale looks great and worthy of another cheese. I'll look forward to hearing how it turns out.
- Andrew

DavidStaffs

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 10:53:48 AM »
Thanks Andrew... any day now I'll open it up :)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 11:25:57 PM »
Insert evil laugh  >:D  another and yet another soon .... the world !!   Oh sorry getting carried away again.  Welcome to the forum and look forward to see so more of your cheese - and your book BTW :).   My Mum and Dad live in Malvern - I've never seen it in person -but, would love to one day roam those hills..

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

DavidStaffs

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 07:29:31 AM »
Mal, Malvern is a beautiful place, I hope you go there one day.  As to the book... it's sitting with publishers at the moment so I might now how it goes in about a month.

Here is the cheese, cut today.  It tasted creamy and with a good knit.  A light overtone of mild blue, so I was impressed.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 04:20:01 AM »
Oh yeah !!!   Well done - looks great.  If the Dollar wasn't so much in the toilet I would love to see the 'Old Country' once more.  It's very expensive at the moment..

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 08:34:28 AM »
Nice looking cheese and sounds good too. Well done.
- Andrew